News Briefs for December 2008

New Chipotle Raises $4000 for WJ on its Opening Night
-Ava Bleiberg

By 4:30 p.m. on Dec. 12, the line from Chipotle extended to Blockbuster. By 4:59 p.m. people in the line started a countdown to 5:00 p.m. Once the countdown reached zero, the doors to the newly constructed Chipotle opened and the entrance was flooded by students eager to order their food.

One hundred percent of the profits made that night between 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. went to WJ as part of a fundraiser Chipotle held to benefit the school. Approximately 800 students had attended the event by the end of the night, accumulating a total profit of nearly $4000.

“Given the weather, horrible to be exact, we were concerned that what could have been a huge sellout, was not going to be very beneficial at all,” said fundraising coordinator Ann Gradowski. “But we underestimated the WJ community.”

Principal’s Prize Awarded to WJ
-Ava Bleiberg

Many WJ community members entered themselves in the 26th Annual Thanksgiving morning Turkey Chase, sponsored by the BCC-YMCA and the BCC Rotary, winning WJ the Principal’s Prize for the second consecutive year.

The YMCA awards the prize, a scholarship of $1000, to whichever school is credited with the largest turnout of runners. Participants affiliate themselves with the school of their choice by selecting, upon registration, the school they attend, previously attended or simply like the most. The money has been used to help the Access2College program, started by the Guidance Advisory Committee, which mentors students through the college process.

WJ Community Mourns the Loss of a Former Student and Teacher
-Maia Dicey

Last month, two deaths occurred in the WJ community. On Nov. 16, former special education teacher Alan Gotoff died after a long-term struggle with diabetes. The next day, Nov. 17, former student Aaron Kamins died after a long battle with cancer.

Gotoff only worked at WJ for one year, teaching ninth grade special education English and working with students in the Gifted & Talented program.

“Mr. Gotoff’s eagerness to teach our children, personality, individuality, and sense of humor gave us something to take home to think about besides school,” said Nanette Baez, a WJ parent, upset upon hearing about his death.

Kamins, who attended WJ from 2001 to 2005, is remembered by his former guidance counselor Lisa Sorenson as being quiet, introspective and marching to the beat of his own drum.

$10,000 Scholarship to Senior
-Zach Gordon

Senior Donald Borenstein received a $10000 prize after submitting an essay to a contest sponsored by the Junior Achievement of the National Capital Area.

His essay, entitled “Promise on the Potomac,” was one of 10 that received the award, which was presented on Dec. 2.

“When I first found out I was pretty shocked,” said Borenstein.

This is the first year of the competition, which was started by David M. Rubenstein, co-founder of the Carlyle group, one of the world’s largest equity firms, and member of the Washington Business Hall of Fame, who donated $100000 to fund the event.

The essay was written in response to the prompt of “Greater Washington-Why it’s the best region to grow and build a business.”

“When I thought about it, it kind of reminded me of the phrase ‘All Roads lead to Rome’,” Borenstein said. “I started thinking about how Washington D.C. is in some senses interconnected with everywhere else in the world and how beneficial that would be for a business.”

All students in grades 9-12 were eligible to enter.

“It’s remarkable how just going out there, finding these scholarships and putting in a couple hours of time can really make a positive impact,” said Borenstein.

McAdory Resigns as Junior Class Sponsor
-Jeremy Smith

Earlier this year, due to S*T*A*G*E and other commitments, English teacher Colleen McAdory stepped down as the sponsor for the junior class. Arts and Technology teacher Daniel Kempner along with main office Secretaries Rochelle Kohn and Amy Knestout became the new junior class sponsors. Kempner took the job as a way to become more involved with students.

“It is important for the junior class to have a faculty member see them through this big year of planning and fundraising,” said Kempner. Kempner’s plans are similar to any others; raise money and make the school a better place.

“I am still trying to feel my way through my new position,” said Kempner. “I am hoping to help the junior class raise a bunch of money, plan a great prom for the seniors, have a fun Powderpuff game and bring fame and general good vibes to WJ!”

* This brief has been modified from its original version.

0
0