Bad Day to Be a Pumpkin: Carving Contest

“Bad Day to be a Pumpkin” at WJ features an array of Halloween themed events, including a pumpkin pie eating contest, a pumpkin catapult, and, for more artistic students, a pumpkin carving contest. 

“Ceramic 2,3 and AP 3-D students all participated in the pumpkin carving contest,” said Art Department resource teacher Stephanie Ellis, “anyone else was encouraged to participate, too.  Experimenting with alternate materials was the goal.”  The students used their creativity to bring a whole new meaning to the term “jack-o-lantern.” 

Students gathered to gut, cut, and shape pumpkins into various works of art, hoping to win first place.  They had to work fast and improvise, and some students had to rework their plans after working with the pumpkins.  Despite a few rotten pumpkins, everything went smoothly, and afterwards the transformed pumpkins were judged by over 20 teachers and administrators who filled out ballots. 

The winners were juniors Gabriela Cavanaugh and Sophie Andes-Gascon, who designed an intricately detailed pumpkin landscape of trees.  Sophomore Adrianne Ali, and juniors Alexandra Sanfuentes, Christina Sanfuentes, and Claire Popovich also stood out from the competition with their one-of-a-kind creations.

0
0