New YouTube Channel Supports Gay Teens in Effort to Prevent More Suicides

A recent nationwide spate of suicides committed by gay and lesbian teenagers, considered to be caused by the constant harassment and bullying committed by their peers, has renewed attention on the effects of peer bullying.

During the month of September, six gay and lesbian teenagers throughout the U.S. committed suicide. The suicides include Billy Lucas, 15, who hanged himself in his family barn in Greensburg, Ind. (Sept. 9); Cody Barker, 17, hanged himself in Shioctin, Wisc. after being bullied for his sexual orientation (Sept. 13);  Seth Walsh, 13, who hanged himself on a tree in his backyard in Tehachapi, Calif. (Sept. 19); Asher Brown, 13, who shot himself in the head while in his home in Cypress, Texas (Sept. 23); Tyler Clementi, 18, who jumped off the George Washington Bridge near Rutgers University in New Jersey after posting on his Facebook “Jumping off gw bridge sorry” (Sept. 22); and Raymond Chase, 19, who hanged himself in his dorm room at Johnson & Wales University in Providence, R.I. (Sept. 29).

In reaction to the suicides, gay rights activist Dan Savage created a new YouTube channel entitled the “It Gets Better” project, which tries to console gay teens who may face daily harassment and bullying due to their sexual orientation. People across the nation, ranging from celebrities like Ellen DeGeneres, Tim Gunn, Neil Patrick Harris and Kathy Griffin, as well as many other gay and lesbian Americans, have posted supportive videos online intended to directly reach gay and lesbian teenagers throughout the country.

Adam Lambert, 2009 “American Idol” runner-up, who is openly gay, posted an inspirational video on his YouTube channel.

“You are so much more than your sexual orientation,” said Lambert in one of his videos. “You know it and I know it. So you have to be strong and you have to pay attention to the positive, and in doing so you will push through, and you will rise up, and you will live you life to the fullest.”

Members of the Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) at WJ work to prevent discrimination based on sexual orientation and advocate for gay rights in Montgomery County. With the tragic number of homosexual teenagers who committed suicide just last month, the GSA has discussed the creation of the “It Gets Better” project at recent meetings.

“One of the sponsors of the GSA, [English teacher Aishling] McGinty, brought it up recently,” said senior Jason Jones*, a member of the GSA. “[McGinty] said that she thought it was a great program, and I think that it’s a really good idea, too.”

According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, more than 34,000 people in the United States commit suicide every year, meaning that statistically 90 Americans take their own lives every day. Suicide is ranked as the third leading cause of death among 15- to 24-year-olds. Because of the recent high-profile suicides, national attention has been cast on these troubling statistics.

However, some worry that because of its timing, the attention being given to gay teen suicides is not useful.

“It’s a little late now . . . it’s kind of pathetic that it took six people dying for Americans to wake up to the problem [of depression and suicide among gay teens],” said senior Fred Thomson*, who is an openly gay.

Many believe that bullying of gay teens was a major factor in the recent suicides. According to a CNN report, gay and lesbian teens are four times more likely to commit suicide than their peers. The “It Gets Better” project on YouTube therefore helps to support teens who may not feel accepted or understood in their schools and communities.

“But overall, WJ is very accepting [of gays and lesbians],” said Thomson. “I haven’t heard of bullying at this school . . . I personally don’t feel harassed at all. If anyone doesn’t accept you for who you are, then they don’t deserve you.”

*Not his real name because subject requested to remain anonymous

0
0
$775
$1000