Top Five World News Events: Dec. 6 – Dec. 10

1. Bombing in Stockholm. Two blasts erupted in Stockholm, Sweden’s shopping district on Saturday evening, killing one man and injuring two other people. Minutes before the explosions, emails were sent to news organizations that linked the bombing with anger over Sweden’s involvement in the war in Afghanistan, and anti-Islamic cartoons by Swedish artist Lars Vilks. The foreign minister called these blasts terrorist attacks, but a police investigation is still underway.
  2. Mexican Drug Lord May Be Dead. Nazario Moreno Gonzalez, one of the two leaders of the powerful La Familia drug cartel, appears to have been shot and killed by the Mexican government on Thursday during gun fighting in the Michoacan region. His death will not necessarily cripple the cartel, but it is viewed as a significant victory in the war against drugs in Mexico. Last week, La Familia gunmen blockaded Morelia, their home base and the home town of President Felipe Calderon, in another clash between the government and the cartel.
  3. Sudanese Anticipate Split Referendum. On Thursday, people in the Southern Sudanese city of Juba gathered to rally in support of the upcoming referendum to split Africa’s largest country between the north and south. The referendum will take place on Jan. 9, and according to officials, over 2.8 million people have registered to vote. For decades, Sudan has been in civil war between the north, which is predominantly Arab and Muslim, and the south, which is predominantly Christian.
  4. Chinese Dissident Awarded Nobel Peace Prize. On Friday, the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded in absentia to human rights advocate and writer Liu Xiaobo, who is currently imprisoned. Liu helped work through confrontations between protesters and police at Tiananmen Square and was detained in 2008 for collaborating on the Charter ’08 call to human rights. He is serving an 11-year sentence. He received the award for his “heroic and nonviolent struggles on behalf of democracy and human rights,” according to Thorbjon Jagland, chairman of the Norwegian Nobel committee.
  5. Nations Begin Nuclear Arms Talks with Iran. The United States and other world nations met in Geneva to commence talks with Iran concerning its nuclear program and their failure to observe the resolution passed by the United Nations Security Council that halts the enrichment of uranium. The talks have been described as difficult, with Iran refusing to give way and stop enriching uranium. Iran is thought to have about twice the amount of enriched uranium it had in 2009, although it is unclear whether Iran has disclosed all of its uranium enrichment facilities to the United Nations.

All information gathered from the New York Times Online

0
0