Top Five World News Events: Feb. 2 – Feb. 7

1. Turmoil in Egypt continues. This week was a tumultuous one in Egypt, with huge protests in Cairo’s Tahrir Square calling for the end of President Hosni Mubarak’s near 30-year-long “term.” Mubarak announced he would not run for a second term, still not meeting the opposition’s demand that he step down immediately. Protests intensified and at least 100 people have been killed. During a press conference, President Barack Obama discussed a phone conference he had with Mubarak, in which he expressed that a peaceful, “orderly transition” to democracy must begin immediately. Obama has also openly condemned the violence used by pro-government protesters. Talks began between a loose coalition of opposition protestors, including Nobel Prize winner Mohamed ElBaradei, Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman and members of the Muslim Brotherhood.
  2. WikiLeaks founder goes to court. Julian Assange, the controversial founder of WikiLeaks who released 250,000 top-secret diplomatic cables, entered a hearing over whether he would be called to Sweden to face sexual abuse charges. Assange asserted that if he is extradited to Sweden, where he could face extreme punishments, there is a chance of rendition to the U.S.
  3. Violence between Thailand and Cambodia. An armed clash between the two countries erupted from a long-time territorial disagreement. In 2008, Unesco declared Preah Vihear, a Hindu temple, as a Cambodian World Heritage site, despite Thai claims to it. Both countries blame each other for initiating the violence. At least five people have been killed. UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon pleaded for both countries to “exercise maximum restraint.”
  4. Cyclone lashes Australia. Cyclone Yasi, with winds up to 185 miles per hour, ripped through rural and coastal villages in the northeastern coast of the region of Queensland. There were no casualties from the cyclone, despite it being one of the most powerful cyclones Australia has ever seen. Huge amounts of profitable sugar and banana crops were destroyed. The cyclone hit the same area as the recent floods in Queensland, which had killed at least 20 people.
  5. Protests in Iraq for improved services. Several thousand protesters in cities across Iraq demanded improved utilities and job securities from the government. In Basra, a delegation demanded better electricity service, more employment opportunities and a decrease in crime. Prime Minister Nuri Al-Maliki has said he will not pursue a third term and plans on cutting his salary in half.

All information gathered from the New York Times Online.

0
0