Baltimore Symphony Orchestra Helps WJ Prepare for National Competition

The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (BSO) is working with the WJ Symphonic Orchestra in order to prepare for the National Orchestra Cup. Ellen P. Troyer, a violinist with the BSO, and Chang Woo Lee, who is the Associate Principal Cello, have helped students in the Symphonic Orchestra prepare for the nationwide competition, to which 10 schools were invited.

“This is the first time that WJ has been invited to the competition,” said Christopher Kosmaceski, who leads the WJ Symphonic Orchestra. “We’re working really hard, and we’ll represent the school well. We intend to play with pride, class and sophistication.”

Upon hearing that WJ was one of a handful of schools selected to perform in the National Orchestra Cup, the BSO’s Community Outreach Director Richard Spero contacted Kosmaceski to offer the BSO’s support as the Symphonic Orchestra rehearsed for the competition.

“We want to establish ourselves in Montgomery County, not just by playing music, but by getting involved in the community,” said Spero. “I asked [Kosmaceski] what we could do to help.”

“I told them that we needed someone to instruct the violins and cellos,” Kosmaceski said. “I’m not a string player myself, and I thought that if we had the help of the BSO, this was the best way that they could help.”

For WJ students performing in the National Orchestra Cup, the opportunity to work with a professional before a nationally renowned competition was an incredible experience.

“A professional can teach a lot that you can’t really learn on your own,” said senior Azita Halary, who is a violinist in the WJ Symphonic Orchestra. “Mr. K [Kosmaceski] plays clarinet, so it was nice to have someone who knew a lot about violin.”

Spero, impressed by the performance of WJ students, hopes to expand the BSO’s partnership with the school’s music department.

“This is a win-win for everyone,” said Spero. “The BSO wants to be seen helping in the community, and WJ wants a better opportunity to expand its music program. We hope to expand our partnership. It would be neat if we could find a way for one of our musicians to play with your orchestra in the future.”

Both BSO musicians will be returning to WJ to instruct the violins and cellos before the March 10 competition, which will be held at Alice Tully Hall at the Lincoln Center in New York City. The Pitch will have full coverage of the preparation for the National Orchestra Cup in the Feb. 24 print issue.

0
0