Did you receive your weekly H.U.G? Sept. 23-29

Home- On Sept. 25 at sundown, the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur was celebrated around the world. WJ and many other public and private schools across the nation cancelled classes that day as many Jews celebrated the holiday and fasted. In addition, many kids of other religious faiths enjoyed their day off. The holiday ended on Sept. 26 at sundown and students returned to school the next day.

United States- On Sept. 25, President Barack Obama gave a speech to the U.N. addressing the recent attacks against the U.S. in Libya and Egypt. In his address, he asked the world leaders to deal with the attacks and to speak out against violence. Obama’s intention was to urge the countries to bring back democratic values and get rid of extremism. (Source: Washington Post)

Globe- Protests spread to Madrid, Spain on Sept. 25 as protesters surrounded Parliament. The protests are against Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and his government. Spain’s two largest regions, Andalusia and Catalonia, also have taken a stance by taking steps to reduce economic troubles and Rajoy’s austerity plans. The protests are not for the same reasons of the protests in Libya and Egypt, which were about the movie “Innocence of Muslims,” which insulted the Muslim prophet Muhammad (Source: The New York Times).

0
0