A Big Victory for Maryland on Election Night

While Maryland voters did their part in helping re-elect President Barack Obama to a second term, history was also made in-state with the passing of three ballot questions.

Maryland voters helped legalize gay marriage by a 52 to 48 percent popular vote in favor of the ballot.

Despite not being able to vote in this election, junior Ronit Feifer said that Question 6 passing is a great success for Maryland.

“I felt that finally the people [of] Maryland were relatively equal,” Feifer said, adding that she has been a big advocate for marriage equality and is thrilled that this question passed.

Question 6 allows homosexual couples to obtain a civil marriage license in Maryland. It also protects clergy from having to perform a marriage ceremony that goes against their religious beliefs.

A majority of Maryland voters also passed Question 4, which is President Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DREAM Act) on the local level. This measure enables undocumented immigrants to receive in-state tuition for colleges if they meet certain requirements.

Math teacher Anne Sexton said she is very excited that this question passed.

“Everybody has got the right to education and affordable education if they grew up in the state of Maryland,” Sexton said. “If they went through all of Maryland schools, why should [they] suddenly be denied the same tuition as other students?”

Maryland residents also voted in favor of Question 7 which will expand gambling in the state. The state’s slot-only casinos will now be allowed to expand into full-fledged casinos. These casinos will stay open 24 hours in addition to offering a variety of card and dice games. Advocates of this question have said revenues brought in by these casinos will go toward education funding.

However,  special education teacher Kimberlyn Faulkner and English teacher Aishling McGinty have some concerns about this question passing. Both teachers have concerns about where the funds are actually going and feel that the revenue generated would not be going towards education as claimed. Faulkner also has concerns about where the new casino would be built in Prince George’s County.

“It’s a nice area and I don’t know I necessarily want to see a casino there,” Faulkner said.

0
0