SGA Update: Pennies for Patients events, cultural assemblies and the Connecticut shootings

SGA president Chris McCurry addresses WJ in the first of his monthly letters to the student body. His updates will include information about upcoming events and ways students can get involved within the school community. For more information, please contact a member of the leadership class or Nico Atencio, the current SGA and leadership advisor. 

Dear WJ students,

We are working on organizing new project ideas for Pennies for Patients this year. One group in the leadership class is working on an all night dance-a-thon to continue after the winter dance this year. Different groups will get sponsored to dance all night and raise money for every hour they dance. In addition, one group is organizing a carnival for all of the WJ feeder schools to come to WJ for a night of rides, games, music and cotton candy. Both should be very entertaining, and hopefully, very successful events.

As you may or may not know, some issues were raised on a debate thread via the “MadCows” Facebook group which connects over 1,200 members of our student body. Students voiced concerns over issues including changes in homework policies, the removal of cultural assemblies and the lack of paper towels in the school bathrooms. Recently, the no homework policy on nights of sports banquets or other school events was taken away. The cultural assemblies were going to be removed from the school day this year, but due to the persistence of certain students involved, the administration is working out a time during the school day for the assemblies to take place. Finally, the administration has been reluctant in putting paper towels in the bathrooms due to misuse in the past, but the fight for dry hands will not end so simply!

The recent events at Sandy Hook Elementary School have shocked our community, as well as communities around the country. In order to show our support and concern, we have organized a video project to send to families of victims that will hopefully send some love in such dark times. We feel it is our duty, especially during the holiday times, to look after those that are stricken by tragedy.

Make sure you come out to the events coming up in the future or participate in our various fundraisers because you won’t want to miss out!

Sincerely,

Chris McCurry

SGA President 2012-2013

0
0