Fall spirit week: a success!

After a long, well deserved summer, the Wildcats show off their spirit by going all out in their awesome costumes all spirit week long.Out of all the events during the school year, spirit week brings out the most in students.This year’s fall pep rally spirit days were Monday: Maryland day, (everyone dresses up in as much Maryland gear as they can), Tuesday: Old timers, (dress up as grandmas and grandpas!) Wednesday : retro ballers, (everyone wears jerseys, tube socks, and awesome sweat bands.) Thursday: Cats v Cows, (students can either dress up as a Wildcat or a Madcow!)  Friday: class colors, (freshmen-yellow, sophomores-white, juniors-black, and seniors-green). Spirits change for every spirit week, and they’re all decided by the SGA officers and leadership class.

Junior class treasurer Simone Giraldo shared her opinion on this past spirit week.

“My favorite part about spirit week is how funny it is to see everyone come to school dressed in crazy costumes. It’s so much fun to dress up because it’s something interesting to do for school besides your regular routine,” Giraldo said.

Spirit weeks are a great way to show off everyone’s creative side. Whether it be by wearing a cow suit to school, or even just a crazy wig!  

“It’s really interesting to see people come to school wearing their spirit wear because there are so many outfits and accessories that they utilize that I would never have even thought of,” senior SGA secretary Katie May said.

SGA officers come up with many different spirits to do each spirit week. Sometimes taking inspiration from previous years, but other times there are completely new and unique spirits for the students to try out. However, spirits aren’t only done during spirit week a few times a year. They also occur for most sports teams on the day of a game. Captains come up with a spirit for the team. Some sports have signature spirits that they do once a year. For example, the girls lacrosse team does “On the low”, where they dress in sweatpants and dark sunglasses, and are very “low-key”. Cheer does “Cyber goths”, where they dress in all goth attire (dark lipstick, black clothes) with pops of neon.

“Pajama day has always been my favorite spirit. I’d love to do that again in the future. I would also like to have a WJ day where we can celebrate our school and wear whatever it is to represent our school, we could get a lot of people involved in it and get lots of school pride,” May said.

Whether everyone participates or even when only some people do, spirit week is always an awesome way to showcase the creativity and school spirit that unites the entire school!

2
0