Catch: Backpack speakers fill WJHS

An image of the Pack 500. Photo courtesy of google images.

Backpack speakers have become prevalent in our high school campus, filling the halls with uniting musical talents. Students walk silently through the halls daily, letting their backpack speak the words, blaring music at the students who trot behind them. A true notion of peace, these backpack speakers are the buffer between silence and small talk. They unify the student body in harmony as they all bob their heads in unison to “Bodak Yellow” by Cardi B.

“I just love the sounds of music in the hallway, it makes me feel secure, safe even. I feel like these people are really just trying to help me have a better day,” sophomore Rose Portrait said. “All day I look forward to walking behind a backpack speaker.”

The students speak the truth, backpack speakers are now being purchased by 40% of Walter Johnson students, according to the Pew Research Center. The Washington Post deems it “a cheap way to boost your ego.” Yet, not so cheap, most backpacks start at $4,000 and only go up from there.

“They’re expensive, but I still got one,” junior Steven Flannigan said. “I just wanna spread love and positive vibes throughout the school.”

The most popular speaker backpack being purchased is the Pack 500. It comes complete with eight 180 Watt speakers and has enough space to hold 30 Mountain Dews. Some other special features are its memory foam straps and built in fan, because you know you’ll be smokin’ while wearing the Pack. The Pack 500 starts at $4,500 and students in Montgomery County are going crazy over it.

“I’m so glad I got mine,” senior Anthony Cortez said, “[it’s] probably the best purchase I’ve made all year, because I don’t have any money left!”

The only downside is that the Pack 500 can only play a rotation of three songs, “Bodak Yellow” by Cardi B, “God’s Plan” by Drake and “Psycho” by Post Malone. Either way, the Pack 500 is a complete bargain and is shown by the abundance of students sporting it.

0
0