Pitch Opinion: Promising Legislation to Ban Driving While Texting

At some point or another, we teenagers are all guilty of being slaves to technology. We listen to our iPods during class while the teacher reviews for the next big test, we mess around on Facebook when we should be doing our homework and sometimes we tell endless “he-said, she-said” stories on our cells when we know very well that we’re way over our monthly minutes. However, at some point enough is enough, and we have to start putting our well-being and safety first.

While talking on the phone while driving is dangerous, texting on the phone while driving is just stupidity. In essence, driving while texting (DWT) is equivalent to temporarily closing your eyes when behind the wheel of your car. But as the use of technology begins to take over everyday life, driving while distracted can be blamed for more and more accidents in the United States. Distractions can mean anything from fiddling with your radio or GPS system to texting on your phone. Yet, despite the ridiculous risk and the fact that auto insurance companies will not cover texting-related collisions, it is clear that DWT is not taken seriously by many drivers, particularly those of the younger demographic.

Studies show that 46 percent of people ages 16 to 17 and 37 percent of people ages 18 to 27 admit to texting while driving. In comparison, similar studies show that only 14 percent of those ages 28 to 44 and just 2 percent of those ages 45 to 60 send texts while driving. According to Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) texting has become a more prominent factor in dangerous teen driving than one’s emotional state, talking on the phone or even having friends in the car.

Luckily these disturbing statistics have prompted many states in addition to Maryland to take action. At least 16 other states are proposing legislation that would ban or restrict the act of DWT. We here at The Pitch are keeping our fingers off our phones and instead crossed that the laws pass. Because discussing where the big game is, who’s hooking up with whom or what time mom wants you home for dinner is not worth your life. Have a friend answer your texts, pull off the road or just wait till you get to your destination. Don’t become a needless victim of senseless DWT.

0
0