‘Leave Elin Alone:’ Our Take on the Tiger Woods Speech

Background info: Early Thanksgiving morning last year, Woods was in an accident

Having since gone AWOL from the world of golf and media, Woods spoke publicly for the first time at the PGA Tour  headquarters in Jacksonville, Fla. at TPC Sawgrass. He spoke in a room filled with friends, supporters and minimal press. While his speech was heartfelt and genuine (debatable), it was everything I expected it to be: pointless. Dude, Tiger.. step it up.

Reasons this speech was pointless:

1.  I see no reason for him to get up there and apologize to his fans for his actions. What did he do to us? To us he should be saying “you’re welcome” for giving us something to write about. The only person he should really be apologizing to is his wife. He didn’t cheat on us, he cheated on her.

2. There was no closure regarding the topics we actually care about . The only reason people watched was in hopes of him addressing his return. He did say there is a chance he could return this year, but still no closure.

3. “Yield to questions would you?  You’re the most notable athlete in the world since MJ and you go AWOL for two months. The least you could to is give a rough estimate as to when you are coming back,” says the really obnoxious sports fan inside of me. The realistic part of me says, “Honestly, he should’ve stayed in rehab that day.” 

4. News is news. When the #1 golfer gets caught cheating and takes an indefinite leave of absence, the press has the right to publish about it. Come on, what did you expect?

5. If you’re gonna pull a Chris Crocker and say ,”Leave Elin Alone!! (See headline),” then you have to go all out and shed some tears.

Tiger, I want 14 minutes of my life back.

0
0