Letter to the Editor: Material Posted on PFOX’s Web Site Contradicts Director’s Statements

In response to “The Pitch Speaks to PFOX” (see article below)

I read your article in the last issue of The Pitch about PFOX and noted some misconceptions in it. In the article, the PFOX executive director Regina Griggs says, “PFOX families love their homosexual child unconditionally.”

However, when someone goes to the PFOX Web site, it clearly says [in a posted excerpt from a book by Camille Paglia], “Homosexuality is not normal. On the contrary it is a challenge to the norm…Nature exists whether academics like it or not. And in nature, procreation is the single relentless rule. That is the norm… Our sexual bodies were designed for reproduction…No one is born gay. The idea is ridiculous… homosexuality is an adaptation, not an inborn trait.”

While PFOX members are entitled to their opinion, it is commonly concluded among the gay community that being gay is not a choice. In fact, some gay and lesbian people wish that they were not gay due to the harassment they receive for their sexual orientation. While groups such as PFOX believe that they can “cure” homosexuality, reparative therapy to change sexual orientation has been declared unethical and damaging by major medical and mental health professional associations, such as the American Medical Association and the American Psychological Association.

— Jessica Wolff, Senior

Original Article – March 5, 2010 – Print Edition

The Pitch Speaks to PFOX

On Feb. 5, students received a flier from PFOX; many interpreted the message to be anti-gay

WRITTEN BY ABBY SINGLEY & LIZ WASDEN

“Unwanted homosexual feelings can be overcome. People can and do make the decision every day to seek help in overcoming unwanted same-sex attractions or gender confusion. They have the right to self-determination and happiness based on their own needs, and not the needs of others.” – Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays (PFOX)

These words were communicated to students on Feb. 5 through fliers, which teachers were legally required to distribute to third period classes. The WJ community’s reaction to the handouts, which were sent by PFOX to all Montgomery County public high schools, was one of confusion that left students, staff and parents, in particular, outraged.

Some misconceptions exist about the organization. A number of students came to the conclusion that PFOX was an organization looking to “cure” gays and lesbians of their homosexuality.

“[PFOX] seems very narrow-minded and ignorant,” said senior Conor Sullivan. “They want to conform everybody to their form of sexuality – heterosexuality.”

However, according to PFOX executive director Regina Griggs, this is not the case. While PFOX does believe that “change is possible,” they do not encourage individuals to become straight if they are happy living a gay lifestyle.

“The mission of the organization is to provide education, resources and support to families and people with unwanted same-sex attraction and support the ex-gay community’s rights,” said Griggs.

Not only does PFOX say that they support and inform the public about ex-gays, they say they are tolerant of those of all sexual orientations. For example, Griggs said if a family had a son reveal his homosexuality, but the family’s church was not tolerant of his lifestyle, PFOX would work with and educate the church about loving the boy unconditionally, regardless of his homosexuality.

Some students concluded from the fliers that PFOX is an organization intolerant of homosexuals.

“They misinform people and they’re prejudiced,” said Sullivan.

A strong reaction to the fliers was seen on the PTSA e-mail listserv. Many parents claimed that their children were “disturbed” by the fliers and were shocked that handouts with such content could be distributed. Many parents commented on the topic, requesting anything ranging from meetings to address policies to group counter-responses against PFOX. At the PTSA meeting, where Principal Christopher Garran was to address the issue, only 10 parents were attendance, who Garran refers to as “the regulars.”

Griggs was surprised when she learned of the stir her organization’s handouts caused; she had not received a single complaint from anyone in the WJ community or county.

“No one has contacted us,” said Griggs. “If they’re that upset, why aren’t they contacting us? If they take this seriously, if they weren’t anti-ex-gay, if they weren’t against people’s right to self-determination, they could contact me.”

WJ’s Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) had also written to the listserv that they planned to lead a group response to the handouts.

“Many [members of the GSA] did feel offended by [the fliers],” said junior Josh Martinez, president of the GSA. “Personally, I tore mine up. I was pretty mad when I read it.”

Martinez said that the GSA discussed the PFOX handouts at a meeting, and decided to respond to PFOX by educating students and spreading out information on GSA and on anti-PFOX views. Considering board members of PFOX travel to speak to high school and college GSAs about tolerance for the ex-gay community, Griggs was very confused as to why the GSA would act against PFOX.

Regardless of all controversy, Griggs wants the community to know one thing about her organization.

“PFOX families love their homosexual child unconditionally,” said Griggs. “Unlike other organizations which insist that parental love is conditional on affirming homosexual behavior, there are no conditions on our love for our children. We do not have to approve of everything our children do. Blanket approval is not responsible parenting or love. True love is loving in spite of our differences and treating each other with kindness and respect.”

0
0