My Personal War on the Listserv

The WJ listserv is an extremely valuable tool; it informs many students and parents about happenings at WJ, events in the community, and important notifications that they may need to know. Its uses have even extended to aid parents credible tutors and babysitters. It is one of the most useful resources WJ has to offer and to be honest, I’m starting to hate it.

In the two-day period from Aug. 31 through Sept. 1, there were 32 emails sent out about a single issue on the listserv. The concern was an important one; a new WJ parent wanted to know the safest way for her child to cross Democracy Bvld. It was the type of question for which the listserv is supposed to be used. One or two responses to a question like this would be fine, followed by an email from an administrator or PTSA representative explaining what the school is doing about the issue. Boom. Problem solved. Jay-Z sings “On to the next one.”  Hold your horses.

The problem lies in the responses. First, a number of parents replied to the entire listserv with their personal suggestions and routes that their own kids follow. Not one or two parents, but close to 15. And here’s an inside tip; every one of those parents said essentially the same thing: “Crossing democracy is dangerous.” Really? I couldn’t have figured that from the first few emails, or for that matter, just attempting to cross Democracy Bvld. myself.

There is a “listserv rulebook” on the WJ website which states, “Once a person has posted an item, that person may once more post to ‘all’ any clarification and/or addition to that item. Any additional postings responding to any member comments must be to SENDER of that comment. Conversely, any member responding to a posting may respond to ‘all’ ONE time.” My favorite part of the rule is the capitalization of “one”.

The issue here isn’t whether or not the listserv is useful — it obviously is. The issue is whether or not the listserv is useful when it’s not used effectively or according to the rules. There are some very important and informative emails on the listserv, but those emails are about as hard to find as a priest at a strip club.

This is why I am in favor of the new open-ended discussion listserv ([email protected] for those interested), which was set up for those who are addicted to the “reply all” button. Now everyone who is interested can have their say on any issue without filling up mailboxes with the same repetitive responses. If the discussion listserv is used in addition to the regular WJ listserv, then I’ll be able to sleep at night knowing I won’t wake up to another firestorm of emails. And the world will be a better place for it.

0
0
View Comments (3)
$775
$1000