Banned from the Blood Drive

On March 10, WJ hosted the spring blood drive, and this time, I decided I would participate and donate to save a life. However, before I could donate, I learned I was ineligible from ever donating because of a certain medication I took when I was younger for a medical condition. Now I am one of the many people who are unable to ever donate, which is unfortunate considering the current need for blood.

It’s easy to understand why there are so many restrictions on giving blood, since it is used in emergency situations to save a life. If the donated blood happens to be infected or at a high risk of giving a serious disease, then it could further endanger the patient getting the blood. The restrictions for donating blood range from types of medications, sexual activity, weight and height.

According to the Red Cross for there are so many restrictions because “every time a person gives blood they must meet donor eligibility criteria designed to safeguard the health of both the donor and the recipient.”

So while I understand why these many limitations are in place, I dislike the fact that I, like so many others, am unable to donate to a worthy cause.

0
0