Has The Simpsons predicted the future?

The Simpsons is a popular animated comedy that follows the life of a working class family. The first episode premiered on December 17, 1989 and it is the longest running scripted U.S. primetime tv series. The show has recently been getting some attention for its very accurate predictions of the future.These instances may just be coincidences, but in some of the cases, it seems like the characters in The Simpsons foresaw events in the real world long before they actually happened.

The most recent instance of The Simpsons predicting the future was during Lady Gaga’s Super Bowl performance on February 5 during which Lady Gaga executed aerial acrobatic movements using the assistance of cables. In the Simpsons episode Lisa goes Gaga which aired in 2012, the character of Lady Gaga did a performance with an uncanny resemblance to the actual Lady Gaga’s performance.

Lady Gaga may have been inspired by her character’s performance in The Simpsons and decided to recreate the performance in real life, but this is not the only time that The Simpsons predicted the future.

Before Greece faced its financial crisis in 2015, The Simpsons made a small jab at Greece in the 2013 episode Politically Inept, With Homer Simpson. The news broadcast during one clip of the episode has a scrolling news update that says that Europe put Greece on Ebay. The small jab was funny at the time but, in hindsight, it foresaw the financial crisis that would eventually put Europe and Greece at odds.

Possibly the biggest prediction that The Simpsons made was Donald Trump becoming president. The Simpsons first predicted this reality in 2000, in the episode Bart to the Future. The episode predicted that Trump would be president and the president after Donald Trump’s presidency was a female president who had an uncanny resemblance to Hillary Clinton. There is no telling if the latter part of the episode will become a reality, but what is very real is the fact that Trump is currently president. The Simpsons predicted this in 2000, and unlike the Lady Gaga prediction, I don’t think this is a case of the prediction influencing real life. Trump probably was not thinking ”maybe I should run for president since I was president in The Simpsons in 2000” when he decided to run for office.

Maybe the writers behind The Simpsons have a knack for predicting the future. They have done it so many times- The Simpsons even predicted conclusions to scientific and mathematic formulas before we were actually  able to discover the conclusions in real life. I think these predictions are just coincidences, but many people believe that the writers of The Simpsons are from the future or have psychic abilities. What do you think? Are all of these predictions that came true just coincidences, or is there more to it?

4
0