SAT adversity score

Daria London, Opinion Editor

From the varsity blues scandal to affirmative action, it’s safe to safe college admissions is far from a meritocracy. Even grades are inflated and the concept of a GPA and weighted GPAs is not uniform around the nation. The one element of fairness is standardized testing, whether the ACT or SAT it gives the school a standard measure to compare all applicants.

Yet, with the new SAT adversity score, it even takes away that essential equalizer in the college admissions process which takes into account the address, high school curriculum rigor and the family dynamic (like single parent home) of that particular student. This is extremely counterproductive considering colleges already take all that into consideration including race.

In addition, the “mastermind” behind this new score is David Coleman. Coleman came up with the idea of the “Common Core” which has soaring disapproval ratings from teachers and administrators all around the country. This disgraced so-called academic leader is ruining this perfect equalizer in this new age inequality.

The most common demographic group in college is those of middle-class families’ children and this new score just ends up haunting their beneficial decisions for their family, like not divorcing or working hard to live in a decent neighborhood. It also promotes cheating in the sense of address fraud, which is ironic because many families fake their address to go to a certain public school.

Also, the whole concept of rating adversity on a measure of 100 points is no way to truly measure someone’s life experiences. Even with this emphasis on “diversity” and “differences” the strongest in a form that measures diversity of thought.

If adversity needs to balance every aspect of one’s grade and academic profile why shouldn’t we do this for grades in a class? If someone had a tutor or if they were living in a slightly poorer area within their school cluster should they get an A in adversity or should they average their class grade with their adversity grade? Of course not.

Overall, adversity isn’t a number and diversity isn’t determined by a person’s address. How about colleges don’t look at alumni standing, donation amount or race. Maybe they should focus on grades, scores, recommendations and essays because it’s so sad that college is losing its value in society when all these games and manipulations are used to get admitted.

0
0