The Toms Sensation

n some getting used to, it’s not uncommon to enter a classroom and see one or two pairs of this common fashion feature. But this trend is more than just a fad—it’s a movement to sell fashion that benefits the world.

TOMS owner, Blake Mycoskie, started the line when he took a trip to Argentina and noticed that many children were not wearing shoes. Mycoskie learned that going barefoot is a main cause of many diseases and that shoes protect feet from cuts that can become infected. With every purchase made on a pair of TOMS, one pair of shoes is given to a child in need. In fact, as of Sept. 2010, TOMS had given over one million pairs of shoes to children in need in over 20 countries worldwide.

Senior Cat Redmond is well aware of the TOMS One for One movement, and got her first pair of TOMS three years ago when they were just becoming well known.

“A couple of years ago I saw [that] my brother got a pair,” said Redmond. ” I thought they were really cute.”

The shoes come in many shapes, styles and colors, with target audiences of both genders and all ages. Starting at a price of $44, the shoes come in glitter, stripes, animal print, and more, in styles ranging from traditional botas to classic slip-ons and even espadrilles and boots.

“I really like them because they’re super comfortable and have such nice, simple designs,” said junior Angela Sese. “They’re also for a good cause—so why wouldn’t everyone buy them?”

Not only do these trendy shoes take part in social action movements, but also they are easy solutions to comfortably dressing in vogue.

“At six o’clock in the morning when you don’t want to get up or go to school,” said Redmond, “it’s really nice to throw on [TOMS] and just walk out the door.”

0
0