Money Matters: Inside Booster Club Fund Distribution

Each school year, the Booster Club gives thousands of dollars to various teams and clubs at WJ. During the first semester alone, the Booster Club gave out $21,363 and has continued to grant more requests these past few months.

The Booster Club is a nonprofit organization that hosts several annual events to raise its funds.

“We’re not about raising a lot of money, then just keeping it as a profit,” said Booster Club President Sue Christakos. “We’re all about spending it… Our whole philosophy is that we can fund it if we can afford it. If we feel like [a project is] beneficial to our students and that it’s going to enhance the extracurricular activities of our students, then we’re going to go ahead and fund it.”

Most booster clubs are specific to only one activity. However, a quality that sets WJ’s Booster Club apart from those of many other schools is that it provides funding for all different types of groups and activities.

Additionally, sports teams are partially funded by MCPS, but clubs do not have this advantage. The Booster Club provides the opportunity for all groups, including these clubs, to apply for funding.

Christakos said for students involved at WJ, chances are that the Booster Club has funded an activity of theirs.

“We really like to try and be equitable and [help] everybody at the school,” she said.

Teams, clubs or groups trying to organize events for WJ can contact the Booster Club directly by filling out the online funding request form on the club website. Christakos said that when a request is received, the members of the board take into account several different factors. They look for specifications as to how the money will be used, and whether or not the purchase will be cost-effective. Additionally, it is encouraged for teams and clubs to help with Booster fundraisers, although a group has never been denied its request for not doing so.

“While it’s not an absolute prerequisite, we do like to see the teams and clubs [that request funding] help us with the book sale, help us with the concessions stand, help us with the mulch sale and [other fundraisers],” said Christakos. “It’s kind of a reciprocal relationship; we help the teams and they help us.”

Other large factors the Booster Club considers include the number of WJ students benefitted and the reusability of purchased materials.

“I personally like to make sure it benefits the women just as much as the men,” said Christakos. “Sometimes we get requests that seem like they’re just for the boys, and we’d like for there to be equality for [both genders].”

The majority of the time, a team or club is granted the request it asks for. However, there are certain MCPS policies restricting things booster clubs cannot pay for, including teachers, coaches, uniforms, personal items or any materials that could be deemed as equipment.

To determine how to distribute funds, the Booster Club asks representatives of clubs or teams to present at Booster Club meetings that occur throughout the year. For sports, a coach or team commissioner will usually come to represent the team. For clubs, however, Christakos said that she likes the students to attend the meeting.

“Since most of the clubs are really run by the students… we ask for [a student representative] to come at the beginning of our meeting and present their funding request,” she said. “It’s really helpful for us to have the students come and present because there are questions that come up.”

According to Christakos, student involvement is key because the Booster Club operates entirely for their benefit.

“We are there for the students; that is solely why we exist… For me, that’s why it’s a really nice organization to be the head of. [For the Booster Club], it’s like, let’s see how much money we can raise so we can spend it on our kids.”

0
0