Winter Season Wrapup: Wrestling

Wrestling had one of its best seasons in years, finishing with a 25-4 record and winning its division for the first time in 24 years. The team is tied for fourth best wrestling team in the region.

The wrestling team is in the toughest division in the county, against Wootton, Whitman and Churchill, and, unlike other schools, WJ does not have a feeder program, which means the schools train the students in middle school for high school. The team is tied for fourth best wrestling team in the region.

Wrestling did not start out too well by losing its first match to Damascus. The team did not have the weights solidified in the beginning. They also lost games because of coin tosses. Because the winner of a coin toss decides when to send out their wrestler, one team’s best wrestler may not face that of the other team’s. Even with all this, wrestling was able to persevere and win divisions.

“[The team is] very tight [and] very friendly, supports one another and varsity teaches JV,” said coach Tom Wheeler.

Prior to this year, wrestling was more of an individual sport, but now every member cheers each other on and helps their teammates. Last year, the team did not have any seniors, but this season they have 10 seniors who all stepped up and acted like leaders.

Next year, the team will lose key wrestlers including Elad Covaliu and Timmy Forline. They are leaving behind a legacy that WJ will never forget.

0
0