Spring coaches anticipate new season

Hannah Markov

More stories from Hannah Markov

Hannah Markov
Coach Brian Fairall, boys’ varsity volleyball.
1. What players should we look out for?
“We have Francesco Sani who was the player of the year in the county last year, so he’s a junior returning to the team who I assume would be vying for player of the year again in the county. Luke Morris was basically an all county player last year. Francesco and Luke are in the same class and are both very strong players.”
2. What are you looking forward to this season?
“We’re just trying to win the whole thing, to win the county championship again. We won the past two years, so this will be the third year in a row trying to get that county championship.”

Hannah Markov
Coach Richard Carter, varsity softball.
1. What are you looking forward to this season?
“I’m looking forward to going outside cause we haven’t done that yet so far, and also seeing the girls play. I’m looking forward to a nice solid season of confident play and rebuilding from last year.”
2. What players should we watch out for?
“Ella Bagheri, Meg Fanjoy, and Chloe Leverson are the seniors you want to look out for. We have junior Kira Schiff, who’s probably gonna be our main pitcher this year. And we have two sophomores who were freshman on varsity last year- Kristen Vargas will be one of our solid defense infielders and one of our better hitters, and our catcher Sophia Lynch.”

Hannah Markov
Coach Tom Martin, coed track.
1. What athletes should we look out for?
“Ella Gaul, Rodrigo Yepez, Erin Henderson, Kelsey Evans, Jake Marks, Allen Moises, Dillon Solario, Jessica Zito, Jenna Goldberg, Arun Sen, and newcomer Isabelle Senfaute. Also Liana Wilkinson in jumps- she’s been doing really well.”
“I’m looking forward to my athletes attaining their goals, working hard, and making that connection between hard work and results. Once that connection is made, that’s when improvement happens.”

Hannah Markov
Coach William Morris, coed volleyball.
“Hopefully to have a good season which will be enjoyable, and hopefully we’ll get some wins as well.”
2. What players should we look out for?
“We haven’t quite finished picking the team, but on the girls’ side the one returning player we have is Olivia Ratnavale. We have some boys who may be returning, but we don’t know yet.”

Coach Mitchell Duque, girls’ and boys’ varsity tennis.
“For the boys’ team, I would like for us to build upon our success from last season’s team that captured the Division II title. Now that we are back in Division I, I want us to prove that we belong in the toughest division in the county and take the next step in moving up the Division I standings. Specifically, our singles players should begin to produce victories against their Division I counterparts, instead of just making it a close match. For our doubles teams, I want them to embrace their roles and adapt their styles of play to what is necessary to succeed in doubles.”
“Albert Xie who is a freshman singles player, and Alejandro Colmenares who is a sophomore singles player.”
1.”Last year’s undefeated, Division I and County Championship team is bound to take a step back this season after losing two of their top singles players in the county/state. While a Division I title is most likely out of reach, this year’s squad has enough talent to be solidly in the middle of Division I teams. In singles, Lea Kosanovic will look to lead the team at #1 singles and build upon her county title at #2 singles and mixed doubles state title from last year. Stacy Ternovskaia is also looking to close out her high school career with a possible 4th county title in singles. Our doubles teams should strive to improve their results from last season, as that was a weaker area in the team but now has enough talent and skill to truly hang with the top teams in the county.”
2. “Lea Kosanovic, junior, #1 singles. Salome Sigua and Nitsa Sigua, sophomores, singles players.”

0
0
Hannah Markov, Photography Editor

Sophomore Hannah Markov is in her first year with The Pitch. When she isn’t working as a photography editor, Hannah enjoys participating in musical theatre...