Should the CFB playoff structure change?

Alabama head coach Nick Saban shouts at his players during their practice, preparing for last seasons playoffs. Despite hopes by many, college football playoffs will not be revamped next year.
bamahammer.com
Alabama head coach Nick Saban shouts at his players during their practice, preparing for last season’s playoffs. Despite hopes by many, college football playoffs will not be revamped next year.

After another year of playoffs in college football, another powerhouse school came out on top. Many college football fans are tired of seeing the same teams win the championship at the end of the year. Most hope for a new playoff bracket that includes an extension of more teams. Everybody loves a good Cinderella story, but with the current playoff bracket, only the top schools in the country can earn their spots each year which makes every playoffs repetitive and boring.

“Who doesn’t enjoy cheering for underdogs?” junior Braden LaChapelle said.

Compared to March Madness where 64 teams compete in a tournament, the college playoffs are only four teams and for the most part, everybody knows who is going to win. This year, Alabama and Georgia competed in the championship game and there was no doubt in mine or any fans mind that this would be the championship game from the beginning of the year. These two teams mostly lived in the one and two spots on the rankings throughout the year which gave a very predictable ending.

“Expansion of the college football bracket means more meaningful games and less opt outs,” sophomore Geoffery Kemp said.

Most NFL prospect quarterbacks will sit out their unmeaningful bowl games to prepare for the NFL draft. If playoffs were expanded, more top players in the country would all participate in the playoffs which would bring more hype and excitement to the games.

“The playoffs should be expanded to give more bowl contender teams a chance to compete with the top schools,” senior Noah Greenfeld said.

More playoff teams participating would create more rounds of play which would result in less travel for the teams if all of the games were hosted at a stadium for each round.

The CFB season always has boring endings when most people’s favorite teams are only playing in one game to wrap up the season which, win or lose, doesn’t change anything. If there was an expanded playoffs, fans would be more invested in their teams and this bracket would give underdog teams more chances to knock off the big schools.

Sure, this would take a while because football teams cannot play every other day to avoid injuries, but if there were only a couple more rounds, the NFL prospects can show that they can shine in the clutch and underrated teams can try to build their programs legacy.
However, they announced that the playoffs will not be expanded for next season, but hopefully this will change in the future.

0
0