Erratic Season Ends Well for 9-3 Girls Tennis

After finishing last year’s regular season undefeated, the girls tennis team had high expectations entering this season. Their hopes suffered a setback, however, when number one singles player Tiffany Lin fell ill and was forced to miss a significant stretch of the season. With Lin out of the lineup, the team lost their only three matches of the season.

“We had some of our biggest games when our number one was out, so we had to mix up everyone’s spot,” said coach Lynn Poznanski.

With Lin was unable to play, senior Alysia Rodgers took over the number one singles spot.  Rodgers played a pivotal role in keeping the team together during their rough stretch and later won singles in the County Championships.  Other key players include senior Alina Marciniak and junior Daryl Oh, who combined to take second place in the county doubles.

When Lin returned, she combined with Rodgers to form the premier doubles team in the region.  They proved their dominance by winning the regional doubles championship.  They will go to the State Championships in May, since most Maryland counties have girls tennis season in the spring.

“They met their goals this year, so that’s a good thing, and it doesn’t happen all the time,” said Poznanski.

If Lin and Rodgers win, it will be Lin’s  fourth consecutive state doubles championship.

0
0