Field Hockey’s Playoff Run Ends in Regional Finals

After several seasons of heartache, misfortune and plain bad luck, success shined this season on the field hockey team.

“This season is so different from last season.” said junior co-captain Georgina Beven. “We all stepped it up. We played our hearts out and it showed.”

The team improved from last year’s 4-8 to a 9-3 record. Beven led the team with 17 goals and nine assists during the season, and six of the team’s 11 postseason goals, along with four assists in the three postseason games. 

Without having a single game at WJ due to construction, senior co-captain Emily Kleinburd found the constant change of scenery to be very challenging.

“It was hard because every field you play on is different so we had to adjust every game,” she said.

Coach Erika Murray kept the team on track throughout the year.

“I pushed them harder than I have in the past,” said Murray. “They have incredible talent and I wanted to see them use it.”

The team easily defeated first playoff opponent Gaithersburg 8-0 with good passing and ball control. In the final minutes of their next game against Churchill, the team took control with a late goal to help them advance to the regional finals against number one seed Quince Orchard. In the opening ten minutes of the game, Quince Orchard struck first, scoring a goal to put the team up 1-0.  They added a second goal in the second half, to end the game and WJ’s aspirations for a state championship.

Though the team can’t call themselves regional champs, they are still pleased with how much the program has improved.

“I think this season we brought WJ field hockey a lot more respect in the county which will definitely benefit next years term,” Kleinburd said.

The team was able to manage five more wins in the regular season than last year. They should expect great things in the seasons to come led by Beven and coach Murray.

“I think we will definitely have success next season,” said Murray. “The girls haven’t worked this hard for one season. They are working to build a tradition.”

0
0