Girls Basketball

With no seniors and a roster that lacks significant depth, the girls basketball team knew that this would be a rebuilding year. As if these obstacles were not enough to make things difficult for the team, six girls have missed at least a game due to injury.

“[The problem is] not that we don’t have any seniors,” said coach Lynn Poznanski. “Injuries [are] our problem.”

The point guard position has especially been decimated by injuries. Junior Catherine Madden was the starting point guard at the beginning of the season, but was forced to the sideline with a broken collarbone. Her replacement, sophomore Anna Bosse, broke her ankle soon after assuming the starting role. The team was forced to promote freshman Samantha Boyd to varsity from the JV team to compensate for all of the injuries.

With no seniors, the team has to look elsewhere to find consistency and leadership.

“We don’t really have a set leader,” said junior guard Simone Brewer. “It’s just whoever decides to step up.”

Different players have roles on the team and one of them is junior Kat Gratton who is the team’s best shooter. The team often looks to her to deliver long-range shots.

According to junior captain Roya Hakimzadeh, however, lacking a leader is not necessarily a bad thing.

“There is more of an emphasis on teamwork because we are not all relying on one person,” she said.

Things do not get easier for the team, as their next four games are against opponents who beat them by at least 20 points earlier this season. Still, the girls remain optimistic that they will crack the win column before the end of the season.

“It’s tough, but we’re keeping our heads up,” said Brewer. “We’re going to win one.”

Though this season has not gone according to plan, it may help the team in the long run. They will not lose any players to graduation, and the extra year of experience should help the team come next season.

“It’s a foundation for next year because we have played together for one year and we aren’t losing anyone next year,” said sophomore forward Sarah Howie, who is averaging 12 points per game.

The team’s next game is Feb. 2 against Wootton.

0
0