Varsity Football: Sept. 25, 6-35

The optimism and hope that accompanied a fresh start for WJ football have slowly slipped away. WJ lost to Gaithersburg 35-6, falling short in a game that many thought the Wildcats would have a chance to win.

In fact, two of five Gazette football experts predicted WJ to beat the Trojans. But this game wasn’t even close.

The Wildcat offensive line struggled to hold off the Trojan pass rush, and junior quarterback Cole Ahnell had trouble finding open receivers. WJ also committed multiple costly penalties, often times negating positive yardage. Penalties like these, such as a holding call that brought back a 50-yard run by senior running back Michael Pitsenberger, hurt the team and frustrate the fans. These, along with other mistakes, seemed to show a lack of focus on the part of the team.

“We’re conditioned enough and we have enough talent to win a lot of games,” said junior linebacker Alex Schiponi. “It just comes down to focus and execution.”

According to Schiponi, the lack of execution also contributed to another kickoff return touchdown against the Wildcats – a familiar occurrence that often gives the opponent points and momentum – and a trend Schiponi and the team know must be broken.

The team’s sole touchdown came on a near miraculous play. Ahnell rolled out of the pocket and tossed the ball to the corner of the end zone. A Gaithersburg defensive back missed a chance at an interception, tipping the ball up in the air. Sophomore wide receiver Elad Covaliu then caught the ball in the end zone, coming down in bounds.

On Friday, WJ faces Poolesville in the homecoming game. WJ will likely be moderately favored once again as the Falcons are 0-4, and last year provided the Wildcats with their first win after a 36-game losing streak. Although Poolesville will come hard, seeking revenge and their first win of the season, it’s hard to imagine the Wildcats losing focus on homecoming as they did against Gaithersburg.

0
0