Gymnastics: An Impressive Start

After losing star gymnast Jenny Roche to graduation last year, the gymnastics team has still maintained a good competitive edge in their first four meets. The team secured their first win on April 20 against Springbrook, and placed second in their first three meets.

Co-coach Ursula Bright has been impressed thus far into the season with the steady record and the team’s first win.

“Our season [has been going] pretty well,” said Bright. 

Led by seniors Michelle Barreto and Shannon Mitchell, the team looks foward to this season with plentiful talent as many underclassmen highlight the roster, including freshman Grace Leslau, who, in her first meet, acquired 68 points out of WJ’s overall point total of 142.70, and represented WJ in every event.

“This gymnastics season has been a pretty strong season,” said junior Kailey Dickinson. “We gained a lot of solid competitors and our future for States is looking pretty good so far.”

However, the Wildcats have faced a tough break; Mitchell injured her right foot through a stress fracture and is out for the season.   According to Dickinson, she’ll be back next year.

“Hopefully [the team] will be just as good or even better when next year comes around,” said Dickinson

During the spring prep rally, the team grabbed WJ’s attention with an eye-popping performance of cartwheels, flips, handsprings and everything in between – a preview of what to expect from a potential strong team this season.

You can watch Barreto, Leslau, Dickinson and the rest of the team go for a first place finish in their meet on April 29 at B-CC at 5 p.m.

0
0