Boys Volleyball Wrapup

The boys volleyball team’s near perfect season of 11-1 ended in their semifinal game in the playoffs against Wootton with scores of 25-19, 21-25, 13-25, 25-18, 4-15.  After beating rivals like B-CC, Churchill, and Whitman, the team can consider the season a huge success.

Although they did not make it to the finals, coach Sylvie Ellen is still proud of how well her team did.

“I think that their game [against Wootton] proves how talented the team was and how far we’ve come from the beginning,” said Ellen. “I think our success has been playing as a team not just as individuals.”

The team won most of their games, including games against rival schools. During the season, WJ beat B-CC in all three sets on April 23 at B-CC, with scores of 25-16, 25-12 and 25-10. The team also beat Churchill during the regular season on April 30 at Churchill in all three sets, with scores of 25-13, 25-20 and 27-25.

Even though the team had a near perfect record throughout the season, Ellen says that there are still things to improve upon.

“I would tell them to feel confident, but not overconfident,” she said. “Also, make sure to trust each other. Trust each player on the team to do their role effectively.”

Even without making it to the final round of the playoffs, the team still has a lot to be proud of. Not only were they a team during the games, but they were a team off the court.

“I only knew two guys that were already on the team,” said senior player Kevin Spak. “By the end of the first week, I knew everyone’s name. Overall, that team was super, crazy,  awesomely close.”

0
0