Indoor Track Off to Another Great Season

Running is undeniably one of WJ’s strongest and most competitive sports. This past fall season, boys cross country was a third-place finisher in the Southeast Regional in Cary, N.C. which, according to records, is the best finish ever placed by a Maryland team. Additionally, the boys team won the 4A State Champions for the third consecutive year, and became the boys4A West Regional Champions.

Now that the leaves have changed colors and the gusts of wind dominate this region, it’s time for winter sports to dominate the field. The indoor track season is well underway. It is clear that this year’s indoor track team will have numerous successful outcomes due to the amount of runners who have followed on from cross country to indoor track.

On the Dec. 12, WJ hosted a Runathon as one of their first events intended to raise money for charity.

On Dec. 18, the team had its first meet, the Holiday Invitational at PG Sportsplex, which jumpstarted their season. Senior Camille Bouvet took second place in the girls 1000-meter run and junior Laura Dally took second place in the girls 55-meter hurdles. Living up to their state championship title, the boys placed a strong third in the 4×800-meter relay.

The team had its first MCPS Developmental Meet at the PG Sportsplex on Dec. 22 where all high school track teams were invited to run. These kinds of meets are designed for learning purposes, to determine and enhance the skills of the runners, and for trainers to determine the runners’ strengths and weaknesses.

Junior Sarah Breen took tenth in the 500-meter, Dally placed sixth in the 55-meter hurdles and the girls 4×800-meter Relay A team placed third. The girls 4×800-meter Relay C team took tenth with Dally placing third in the triple jump, senior Nicky Fowler placed placed fourth in the boys 500-meter and senior Donito Smith placed seventh.

Senior Anna Bosse, 4A State silver medalist and 4A West regional silver medalist, has high hopes for the team.

“The team is getting into good shape and dedicating themselves more and more in practice,” she said.

The indoor track team is scheduled to attend the Dickinson Invitational at Carlisle, Pa. on Jan. 15  from 6 a.m.-11 p.m.

0
0