Wrestling Beats Seneca Valley and Rockville, Pulls Out Big Win at Paint Branch

WJ wrestling beat both of its opponents in a three-school match on Jan. 22, achieving a score of 52-20 against Rockville as well as score of 66-18 against Seneca Valley.

In the Rockville match, sophomore Colin McCoy pinned his opponent in one minute and 39 seconds, junior Charlie Bulman prevailed in only 30 seconds and junior co captain Elad Covaliu had a major decision with a score of 12-3.

“Rockville wasn’t our hardest school,” said senior Sharon Park. “We went into the meet knowing that we were going to do well and we did. Everyone did really well.”

At the Valley match, Park, as well as junior Mario Murillo, won by forfeit and junior Will Greenan pinned his opponent down in three minutes and nine seconds.

“The Seneca Valley match wasn’t much of a challenge,” said Covaliu. “Beside [their having] three really good wrestlers, they weren’t a very big experienced team.”

The WJ wrestling team also defeated Paint Branch with a score of 40-24 on Jan. 25. Junior Max McCleskey pinned his opponent in four minutes and 20 seconds, sophomore Tommy Branthover prevailed in two minutes and 43 seconds and junior Will Greenan brought down his opponent in only 25 seconds. The team was excited about the win, especially coach Tom Wheeler.

“[It’s the] first time we have beaten them in about ten years,” said Wheeler.

With two great wins in the bag, WJ wrestling is driven to keep winning.

Keep following along and catch WJ’s next wrestling matches against B-CC and Whitman at Whitman on Feb. 5.

0
0