Boys Basketball Works Toward Rebuilding Season

The boys basketball team continues to work on rebuilding their season, extending their record to 7-13 with a few remaining games in the schedule as they try to solidify their regular season before heading into the postseason.

Led mostly by a talented group of underclassmen, the team had their share of ups and downs this season, including back-to-back wins against B-CC and Northwest, but they still have yet to put a string of three consecutive wins together. They have had respectable losses to rivals Churchill and Whitman along with a convincing win over Richard Montgomery, but the lack of consistency has kept the Wildcats below .500 for the majority of the season. Despite edging out a tough Northwest team 56-22 last month, the Wildcats fell to the Jaguars a month later in a thrilling 71-73 match.

“We’re playing awfully well,” said coach Bill Morris. “But we’re just one step away from being 13-7. Little things make the difference.”

Junior guards Ryan Lynch (13.2), Harrison Gibert (9.6) and center Halid Hamadi (7.4)  are the top three leaders in PPG as well as free throw percentage for the ‘Cats, hinting that perhaps next year the team will induce experience and leadership to the locker room, hoping to rejuvenate a once-proud Wildcat squad.

After wrapping up a visit and another loss to a 10-10 Sherwood team, the Wildcats will try to close out their remaining games of the regular season with their last regular season home game against Clarksburg on Feb. 18 at 7 p.m. before ending their final game at Blair on the Feb. 22. In the meantime, the team will keep their eyes peeled for the playoff draw for the regional brackets on Sunday, Feb. 20 for a shot at a regional title.

“We’re very excited for the playoffs and winning the state title,” said Morris.

0
0