Indoor Track Season Wrap-Up

After top finishes in the various relay competition, the indoor track team maintained their high success rate all season. Following the MCPS Developmental Meet on Dec. 22, the team continued to set records and do well through the State Championship on Feb. 23.

The girls did exceptionally well and have been setting new records in areas that haven’t seen change in at least eight years.

“The girls team has really shocked all of us,” said senior Camille Bouvet. “We came in second at the county championships, our highest finish since 2003, and have a lot of young freshmen who have qualified for states.”

The first developmental meet saw junior Sarah Breen finish in tenth place in the 500m and junior Laura Dally place sixth in the 55m hurdles. The girls walked away with an A Team third place finish in the 4x800m Relay. Dally’s triple jump earned her third and seniors Nicky Fowler and Donitto Smith placed fourth and seventh, respectively, in the boys 500m.

But the success didn’t stop there. On Jan. 8, the Montgomery Invitational, a formal meet for Maryland and the bordering states, took place at the Prince George’s Sportsplex. Bouvet completed the girls 3200m in 5:13.27, earning her fifth place. Overall, WJ received second place at the Montgomery Invitational, beating Langley by one tenth of a second.

The regional championship took place at the PG County Sportsplex on Feb. 10. Among the regional champions were Dally in the 55m Hurdles, senior Alex Willett in the 3200m and Bouvet in the 3200m.

Approximately two weeks later, the State Championships took place at the same location. Both the boys and girls teams placed in the top ten. The boys team came home with ninth place and the girls earned an eighth place finish.

0
0