Boys Soccer State Championship Recap

The spirit was almost tangible. But so was everyone’s breath – the temperature at a crisp 34 degrees, tons of WJ students arrived bundled in black winter attire. The game had an impressive start – WJ Wildcat Noah Sheetz-Ziegel scored the first goal within the first two minutes of the game. With 38 minutes left in the first half, the Wildcats were already looking great. The offense performed quite well throughout, with great plays especially from seniors Diego Ramos and Pierre Mensah.

By the second half, WJ had already attempted several goals that were extremely close, just off the goal post or into the back netting behind the goal.

Suddenly, with 17 seconds left in the game, Bowie scored. With a tie 1 to 1, the game went into overtime. In overtime, Bowie scored their second goal of the game and ended up winning the State Final.

Despite the loss, everyone in the WJ community was very supportive. After several parents e-mailed their congratulations to the WJ listserv, Principal Jennifer Baker wrote her own message to solidify the apparent Wildcat pride.

“Our team clearly dominated the game,” she said. “Our boys, under the leadership of a fabulous coach, Mike Williams, were undefeated until that game. They have a lot to be proud of.”

Williams also expressed his happiness at the season, notwithstanding the unfortunate ending to the championship.

“This years’ team is the best collection of talent in the history of WJ and one of the very best in all of Maryland public high school history,” he said. “Despite the bizarre turn of events at the very end of the state finals, WJ is the best soccer team in the state of Maryland and consistently played the best brand of soccer in the state. These are not just the sentiments of a proud coach, [but] coaches all over the State have been raving about the WJ boys team.”

0
0