Spring Sports Preview

As spring comes upon us, sports teams begin their quest to be the best they can possibly be. Here are bios on each team and their upcoming season:

Baseball- The baseball team had a disappointing end to last season; after an outstanding regular season they were upset in the first round of the playoffs against B-CC 7-5 in a nine inning game. This year’s team comes back with vengeance and a new first-year head coach, Christopher Murray. This year’s team will be led by seniors Gus Gill, Tyler Green and Justin Hom. The team’s first game is March 21 against Quince Orchard. Some of the big games this year are B-CC at WJ on April 11 where the cats will look for revenge, and against rival Whitman at WJ on April 22.

Gymnastics- The WJ gymnastics team is looking to have another amazing year. Last year’s team went 8-0 and finished with a silver medal at the MCPS championship. Led by senior captain Grace Leslau, this year’s team looks very strong once again. This year’s team is very young, consisting of 13 underclassmen, and will look to gain experience throughout the year. WJ faces off against defending county champion B-CC on April 5. The county championship will be held on May 7.

Boys’ Lacrosse- The boys’ lacrosse team appears to be one of the best in recent years. This team is led by all-American goalie and captain senior Gerritt Molloy. The strong defense is led by seniors Timmy Seppi and Mathew Radack. The team suffered a disappointing loss in their second playoff game last year to Sherwood in double OT (5-4). This year’s team will play rival Churchill on April 11 at home and their last regular season game is May 4 at Rockville.

Girls’ Lacrosse- This very young team is led by experienced senior captain Cori Caggiano. Caggiano will hope to continue the success the Lady Cats had last season when they went 8-4. Junior captains Lucy Andrews and Courtney Bruch hope to pace the offense after graduating Bryn Molloy last year. The team’s big tests will be against Churchill on April 11 and Wootton on April 13.

Softball- This year’s softball team is led by junior captains Sarah Duncan and Kristen Scott in addition to senior Amy Caplon. This year’s team looks to improve on last year’s 6-11 record. Although the team struggled in the regular season last year, they look to keep their momentum from a playoff win last year while they head into this season. Some of WJ’s big games are against B-CC on April 10 and Churchill on April 17. The team’s final regular season game is against Springbrook on May 6.

Boys’ Tennis- The boys’ tennis team is hoping for a strong year. Led by Junior Guy Beven and sophomore Justin New, the team looks to improve upon last year’s record 8-4, where the team had a big win over the Blair team (4-3). This year’s team looks to keep the ball rolling as they start their season on March 22 against Paint Branch. The team will also take on perennial powerhouse Wootton on April 20.

Track and Field- The track and field team hopes to rebound from a tough indoor season. Senior Megan Spurrell looks to lead the way in the distance events, while senior Ana Gomerez looks to head a young group of sprinters. Junior Mathew Morris and senior Will Delay appear to be running very well for the distance team while senior Conner Jobes and sophomore Tae-woo Kim look to lead a talented group of sprinters. The team’s big meets include the county championship at Churchill on May 8 and the state championship at Morgan State University on May 24 and 25 where this year’s team hopes to qualify many runners to run at the state meet.

Boys’ Volleyball- The boys’ volleyball team is very young this year, and they have only one captain, senior Ian Morrison. The team looks to improve upon last year’s 4-7 record. The team hopes to get good contributions from junior Matt Konapelsky and sophomore Raphael Moura. Big matches this year are against Wootton on April 15 and Churchill on April 17. The last regular season game is against Gaithersburg on April 29.

Co-ed Volleyball- Led by senior captain Gina Fischetti and junior captain Brigid Morris, this team looks to have great success. The boys’ have two seniors, Andrew Matus and Kyle Clarkson, who should provide leadership to the younger players. Last year’s team went 3-8. This year’s team looks to improve on that mark and have a great regular season. The team’s key games are against Wootton on April 15 and Churchill on April 17. The last regular season game is against Gaithersburg on April 29.

0
0