Spring sports halfway through

The spring sports season is in top gear with many great games and entertaining moments. Read on as we catch you up on the adventures of some of WJ’s spring sports teams.

Varsity Softball:  Softball has had a bumpy first half of the season, and currently has a 1-6 record.  The team has the potential to improve with a solid group of seniors and some talented juniors. They will look to capitalize on games against Northwood and Einstein to try and better their position come playoff time.

Girls Varsity Lacrosse:  Girls’ lacrosse has had somewhat of a up and down season in the first half as they have beaten the teams they were expected to beat, but also suffered some tough defeats.  The girls lost to Holton Arms, Wootton and Churchill.  The team will look towards their next division opponents Whitman and Richard Montgomery to make up ground and get back on track.

Boys Varsity Lacrosse:  The boys’ lax team has started off slowly as well.  They have lost to rivals Wootton and Churchill, as well state power Oakdale.  However, the Cats have taken advantage of poor teams Watkins Mill and Magruder.  They gained some ground in the division standings with a solid thumping of B-CC on Saturday.  The boys team will look to keep up the good play in their next few games against Whitman and Richard Montgomery – two games that mean a lot in the division.

Coed Volleyball:  The coed team is off to a very rough start, without a win so far in seven games.  They will look to right the ship in the second half of the season against teams such as Quince Orchard and Northwood.

Boys Volleyball:  The boys’ team has started off very nicely with a 5-2 record.  They have beaten some good teams like Whitman and Churchill as well as non division opponents like Poolesville and Rockville.  Lead by captain and setter Liam Morris, the team will look to keep up the work in the next few games against division foes B-CC and Blair before the playoffs.

Baseball:  The baseball team is the hottest team this spring with a 9-2 record against a very tough schedule.  The team has beaten division opponents Whitman, B-CC, and Churchill–along with tough county foe Paint Branch.  The Cats played a very good game over spring break and beat a difficult team, DCPS powerhouse Wilson.  Lead by a talented and veteran group featuring 10 seniors, the boys will look to keep up the outstanding season this week against Blair and Northwood.

As the schedules begin to slim down, the play will mean more and more.  Watch and see if these spring sports will have what it takes to carry them deep in the playoffs in May.

0
0