Pivotal playoff wins propel WJ boys’ soccer into state final

Now well into the state playoffs, following their near-undefeated 12-1 regular season, the WJ boys find themselves positioned for a state title.

Round one, which was held at Walter Johnson on November 1, pitted WJ against Churchill High School. Churchill was the only team to beat the Wildcats this season, and the pressure mounting against WJ was undeniable. Nevertheless, the piercing Cats offense delivered a decisive performance. The Cats managed to pull away from a 1-1 stalemate after the half, as senior midfielder Aldo Ruiz, building on Zion Friday’s first half goal, scored to give WJ the lead.

True to the rest of their season, Ruiz and the squad’s perseverance didn’t let up after that advantage. Late in the second half, Ruiz was blessed with a beautifully placed cross that resulted in what appeared to be a goal, but offsides was soon called. Regardless, that close opportunity to distance the margin had little effect on the team’s energy, and the Cats moved on to beat their rivals 2-1.

That same Thursday at Blair High School, WJ faced Walt Whitman High School in the next round. Having already beaten Whitman 4-0 away from home early in the season, the Cat’s confidence and momentum from their defeat of Churchill carried into the match. Scoreless in the first half, WJ’s offense sparked into life after halftime, with a penalty kick goal from senior midfielder Felix Wu and yet another goal from Zion Friday carrying the team to another 2-1 victory.

After Wednesday’s 3-1 win over Northwest High School to claim the regional title, WJ was set to face Eleanor Roosevelt High School in the semi final last Saturday. Their decisive 4-0 win now poises this year’s team to win the first WJ state championship since 2006.

While nobody can deny that any win is built on a successful team performance, the boys thrive on all the fan support they can get. That being said, be sure to come out and support the Cats on Friday against Bel Air High School, in what will be a stellar finale to their incredible season. The state championship will be held at Loyola University’s Ridley Athletic Complex in Baltimore, and the game kicks off at 5pm.

10
0