Girls’ track and field maintains domination

Abbey Green runs during a meet. Green lead WJ to a great season this year. Photo Courtesy of Lifetouch Studios.

Anything that senior distance runner Abigail “Abbey” Green does shouldn’t come as a surprise.  The unexpected is almost expected out of Green after a high school career spent dominating almost any race she runs in.  Winning the 800, 1600 and 3200 meter runs all at the same meet in the same afternoon is something that’s difficult in any level of track, but Green made it look easy in the MCPS County Championships on May 9.

Green swept all three events, with some of the better times in Montgomery County history.  She ran the 800 in 2:16.50, the 1600 in 4:57.69, and the 3200 in 10:39.33. As usual, cruised to victory in the 1600 and 3200 meter runs.  The 800 was a little more difficult, as she finished ahead of the next best finisher by a little over a second.

“I have been training intensely for the past few months, including many hard workouts,” Green said.  “I wanted to be in top shape so that I could win the distance triple, (800m, 1600m, 3200m races).”

Achieving the ‘distance triple’ is challenging because of how different each race.  The 800 requires both endurance and closing speed. Often times, sprinters or mid-distance runners are very successful in the 800 meter race.  Even despite not being a trained sprinter, Green managed to use her distance talents to win the 800 and was able to coast as she usually does in the 1600 and 3200.

“There is a very limited amount of time and rest between the races,” Green said.  “Each of the three races at the County Championship required a different strategy and had different competitors. I had to expand enough energy to be able to have a successful race, but also pace myself to be able to get through all three races.”

Fellow senior Janet Scott, who finished top 10 in the 3200, credits Green’s success to her work ethic.

“She is determined, strong and she does everything she can to succeed,” Scott said.

Other standouts included freshman Ella Gaul who finished 5th in the 1600 and sophomore Jenna Goldberg who finished 5th in the 3200.  The team is now looking to finish strong in regionals and states.

“I’m hopeful that the team will again have many state qualifiers and go on to have a strong finish at the Outdoor Track and Field State Championship,” Green said.

0
0