Wade, Nowitzki take part in All Star Game

The NBA All Star game has been a big attraction for fans in the past. With Team LeBron facing off against Team Giannis, the game was once again a fan destination this year.
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

As the careers of Dwyane Wade and Dirk Nowitzki wind down, the opportunity to see them in an All Star Game is as well. With Wade highlighting this year as his “One Last Dance”, it was questionable whether or not he would make an All Star squad one last time. The same goes for an ever-aging Nowitzki who will certainly retire from the Dallas Mavericks soon.

In 1998, with the 9th overall pick, the Milwaukee Bucks selected Dirk Nowitzki who was quickly traded to the  Mavericks. With his tremendous shooting ability, Nowitzki lead the the team to a title in 2011 as well as garnering a Finals MVP in the process. At forty years of age and currently in his twenty-first season, the question should be asked: How soon will he retire?

“[Dirk] is one of the best players in the post and on the baseline. I say no more than two years until he retires. I will miss his leadership role and high presence among the league,” junior Owen Porter said.

In 2003, with the 5th overall pick in the draft, the Miami Heat selected Guard Dwyane Wade out of Marquette. Ever since, Wade has made a mark on the league with his versatile play on the court. A three time champion and finals MVP, Wade is used to All Star Games and big time playoff performances. Earlier this year Wade announced that this season, his seventeenth in the league, would be his last.

“I [knew it was] going to be sad but fun at the same time [when Wade announced this would be his last year]. He’s one of the best players and he always put on a show when he steps onto the court. I will miss the energy he brings to every game and the way he competes. I think a lot of players look up to him,” junior Jack Danco said.

While Nowitzki didn’t receive too many votes to be in the game, Dwyane Wade received 1,199,789, second most for guards and one behind Kyrie Irving. However, when the final selections were made, neither Wade nor Dirk were included in the All Star pool. That is, until NBA commissioner Adam Silver announced that Wade and Nowitzki would be added.

“It makes sense. They are both great players and should be recognized,” freshman Ziv Merin said.

When the teams were selected, Nowitzki went to team Giannis, while Wade went to team LeBron. Before the selections were made, Wade jokingly said “LeBron better pick me” when referring to his old teammate and lifelong friend. Giannis is a captain for the first time while James is captaining an All Star team for the second straight year under the new format.

The All Star game ended in a Team LeBron victory, 178-164, with Kevin Durant being named as the MVP. Wade managed 7pts 2reb and 4ast in his ten minutes of play while Nowitzki reached 9pts in his four minutes of play. While the in game action wasn’t much for these two legends, the mere act of having these players who have contributed so much to the game of basketball at the All Star Game is something to remember.

0
0