Indoor track set to go

Junior+Ella+Gaul+storms+past+an+opponent+during+a+cross+country+meet.+Gaul%2C+apart+of+indoor+track%2C+looks+to+contribute+to+the+talented+2019-20+team.+
Photo courtesy of LifeTouch
Junior Ella Gaul storms past an opponent during a cross country meet. Gaul, apart of indoor track, looks to contribute to the talented 2019-20 team.

Acclaimed as one of the dominant running programs in Montgomery County, WJ indoor track aims to maintain their past success and carry over some 2019 cross country accomplishments, targeting a state run in the new year.

Third-year coach Bryan Hoffman is hoping for a successful season with notable athletes across all events and a complete coaching staff.

“We are a very well-rounded team across all events this year on both sides. We have put together an excellent coaching staff that are all motivated and ready to put in work to see some big results for our kids,” Hoffman said.

Returning talent plus new members add up to around 100 athletes on the team this season.
Standout senior runner Jenna Goldberg leads the pack, looking to feed off of her dominant cross country performances from the fall, including a ticket to compete in the Foot Locker Championships on Dec. 14 in California.

Juniors Ella Gaul and Jessica Zito, both a part of the 2018 4×800 relay team that placed fourth at the Maryland 4A Indoor State Championship, have promising seasons and futures ahead of them.
Gaul also placed third in the 1600m run at states as a sophomore and she may be able to do even better this year.

“We are anxious to see Ella build on her success from last season,” Hoffman said.

Two notable jumpers, senior Nicholas Williams and junior Arun Sen, headline the field events, providing the balance across all events that coach Hoffman believes will lead to WJ’s success.

For many sports, experience is what leads to individual achievements, team victories and ultimately state runs. Indoor track having so many athletes, makes seniors so valuable for a sport with such a wide range of ages.

Senior long-distance runner Seth Bangser wants his talents to not be the only way he impacts the team.

“I want to make sure that I can be a role model at practice because we have some underclassmen studs and I want to set a good example for them,” Bangser said.

A balance between field athletes and runners, as well as gifted underclassmen and mature upperclassmen, provides a source of anticipation and determination for the season.Senior Jake Marks hopes to see time goals get hit and improvement as a part of the culture for indoor track.

“I’m hoping to see some of the younger runners further develop and see some of the older runners hit their time goals,” Marks said.

1
0