Cat Lax Killas upset Vikings, claim regional title

Senior captain and midfielder Ellie Hilton takes the ball down the field. Hilton and the Wildcat offense came together and scored 11 points against the 2023 MOCO Champions.

After a thrilling 8-7 win over BCC in the regional semifinals, the girls’ lacrosse team was able to earn another postseason win against the number one seeded Whitman Vikings (12-2). Although the game was on Viking turf, WJ fans took over the bleachers with their cowbells, all decked out in green. Earlier in the season the Cats suffered a heartbreaking overtime loss to the Vikings which they were able to put behind them by beating Whitman 11-8, and winning the regional title.

The Vikings scored to begin the game, but it didn’t take long for senior captain and midfielder Ellie Hilton to score a goal of her own. Whitman fought back and scored two goals before junior midfielder Natalya Krouse netted the second point for the Cats.

“I knew that we would come through in the end because we never let up and we kept working hard as a team,” Krouse said.

Before the end of the half, Whitman scored another goal which was quickly responded to by two WJ goals, one by senior captain and midfielder Olivia McCloskey and the other by Hilton. These two goals allowed the Cats to go into the second half with the score tied at 4-4.

Both teams started the second half eager. The Cats scored one goal to gain a slight lead but the Vikings responded by scoring three consecutive goals. Freshman Charlotte Delong ended the scoring drought, but her goal was followed by another Whitman goal. Krouse and McCloskey both scored to tie the game with 10 minutes left.

“[I was] just giving them simple directions and just focusing on the next best play… and just playing with heart,” head coach Christina Fitzpatrick said.

Not long after the Cats tied the score they started to pull away with the game. McCloskey netted another goal but shortly after, sophomore attacker Ginger Fishberg was given a yellow card for a dangerous shot. At this point in the game the Cats were only up by one point, so the team successfully held on to the ball until Fishberg returned. After Fishberg returned, Hilton and Delong both scored again to officially secure the game.

“It feels great. This team is so special. I am so happy we could do it for the seniors and it’s just the best feeling in the world,” Fishberg said.

Junior goaltender Brett Wall also played a good game making multiple key saves and holding the Vikings to eight points.

This team has been led by Fitzpatrick who is a first-year head coach for the Cats.
“I am so excited. I am so proud of our girls. They played their hearts out, they played smart and they played together. I can’t wait for the next game,” Fitzpatrick said.

Due to the fate of a coin toss, the Cats received a home-field advantage for their quarterfinal game against Northwestern. Northwestern scored right off the bat but the Cats comfortably beat Northwestern, 18-1. Within the first ten minutes the Cats seated their starters. The Cats were up 15-1 at half. WJ played in the state semifinals on Saturday, May 20 against Dulaney. However, results from this game were not available before publication.

0
0