Moo Not Boo

“Pathetic.” 

Principal Christopher Garran only needed one word to describe his feelings toward fan behavior at a Sept. 26 football game at Blake where booing rained down on more than just the other team.

“Booing another team’s poms is unacceptable,” said Garran. “Booing a marching band is unacceptable.”

These episodes at Blake, along with other poor behavior such as chants that have been called into question for appropriateness by faculty and parents at soccer and football games, and fans who have showed up intoxicated to games have been brought under close scrutiny.

This fall, fans have attended sporting events in surprisingly high numbers and crowds have been more spirited and engaged in the action than any year in recent memory at WJ. Administration has made a point to focus on sportsmanship this year and harness negative energy towards opponents into making noise for WJ teams. To this end, Garran has spoken with the leadership class as well as the SGA.

“They spoke to us about channeling our energy into cheering for our team,” said senior Mad Cow and SGA Treasurer Charlie Hartley. “Apparently WJ has built up quite a reputation around the county for having rough fans, and [administration] wanted to make sure we stopped the negative chants.”

Administration has also had to deal with drinking- related incidents, particularly at the Homecoming football game in which multiple students were suspended.

“I lack an understanding of [drinking],” said Garran. “Why drink? You are not supposed to, it’s against the law, they jeopardize being cited which puts their future in jeopardy. It’s a risk that to me is just not worth it. If a student drinks, it makes no sense for them to go to school where there are teachers, administrators and parents.”

Yet at Whitman on Oct. 10, Garran was still frustrated by the fact that instead of being able to watch  the Homecoming game he had to divert his time to discipline students who were under the influence.    

Appropriate clothing at games has also been raised as an issue. MCPS high school principals met to discuss whether full body paint should be allowed to be worn at games. Despite Garran’s objection to a ban of body paint, a number of principals thought that it should be banned because they thought it was unsportsmanlike and brought up a gender issue because girls are not allowed to go shirtless to games.

“There is a difference between guys and girls,” said Garran. “If you watch sports, there will always be guys who take their shirts off. But females are different. I don’t necessarily have a problem with their painting their stomachs, the issue is more what they were wearing or not wearing.”

Some students who felt mistreated at the Homecoming game disagree, claiming that this creates a double standard.

“I basically told [assistant principal Nicole Morgan] that the double standard was completely unfair,” said senior Taylor Enright, who was reprimanded for what she was wearing at the game. “It’s unfair that I was standing next to a bunch of shirtless guys but I am the one who gets in trouble. I’m just supporting the team.”

0
0