Slider About Nothing

Instead of being on task in Pitch class, my cronie David Riva and I started reminiscing about our wild and wonderful experiences here at WJ and trust me, there were many to pick from. But we were more on task than Ms. Gates thought because an excerpt of our conversation is now going in the Pitch. Enjoy.

DR: Congrats, Corey. You’ve finished four years at WJ, and there’s a 50/50 chance that you’ll actually graduate. Where do you go from here?

CG: I have lots of big plans in life like going to the moon, climbing Mt. Everest, and solving global warming, but this is only if I pass math.

DR: You’re a very athletic kid. Seriously, you’re a freakish specimen placed on this planet among mere mortals by the gods themselves. What professional athlete would you compare yourself to and why?

CG: This one is easy. LeBron James. This is because James is jacked without even having to work-out. His trainer described any activity in the weight room that he has done so far as “just messing around.” In this way he reminds me of me. Even though LeBron James doesn’t play baseball, I bet he could.

DR: If you could relive any WJ sports moment, which one would you choose? This could be a tough one, given the surplus of options.

CG: WJ 40, Poolesville 15. Even though I suffered a knee injury jumping over the obnoxiously high fence down to the football field at Whitman, this was the best experience of my WJ game-attending career. The feeling of obliterating a team and making them feel the pain we felt all year was like none other. Literally. I could look at going 1-39 during my four years at WJ with a negative spin, but honestly, when you look back at high school, the only important thing, besides a diploma, is having a story to tell. And winning that one game near the end of the season for all those seniors, and rushing the field? That was a moment never to forget for everyone who was there. Congrats to all the seniors on the team for ending the streak.

DR: You’re starting a basketball team and, obviously, you’ll hold down the point guard spot. What four WJ staff members round out the starting five?

CG: Starting at the other guard spot, I have to take Mr. Williams. He is the secret weapon. Also, I want Nico Atencio holding down the three-spot. He will be important to the team because he can box out with the best of them and provide the team with a clutch mid-range shot when the game is on the line. Speaking of clutch shooting, that leads me to my power forward selection. Mr. Griffiths is my guy. I first saw him play in the three-on-three tournament. Watching Mr. Griffiths shoot makes me feel like the first time I heard the Beatles. So sweet. I mean it is so perfect that it would make Michael Jordan do a double take, it would make Kobe Bryant turn in his jersey. The last person is Fred Delello for comic relief.

DR: Why doesn’t Mr. Fairall crack the starting five? He dominated the student/staff game.

CG: Aside from the fact that he was my math teacher, he is a major West Virginia fan/ graduate and that means that we are Big East rivals.

0
0