The Start of a New Era for the Washington Wizards

In ten years or so, Washington Wizards fans will no longer be familiar with the terms B.C.E. (Before Common Era) and C.E. (Common Era). Instead their minds will revolutionize their own timelines to revolve around B.J.W. (Before John Wall) and J.W. (John Wall). This is because twenty-year-old point guard John Wall is on track to completely restructure the success of this lousy franchise.

Wall is the base of what could be the first NBA dynasty ever assembled in our nation’s capital. A lethal combination of speed and flashy moves makes him the type of point guard that dominates opponents. But, as demonstrated by Lebron James in Cleveland, no one player can win titles without the help of quality sidekicks. Therefore, general manager Ernie Grunfeld must find a way to add contributors.

Ideally, in the summer of 2012 owner Ted Leonsis will flaunt a check fat enough to persuade superstar center Dwight Howard to team up with Wall. Over the past few years, the Wizards front office has made questionable moves, such as trading a 2009 second round draft pick for cash, in order to free up cap space, a space Howard would fill perfectly. He’s only 25-years-young and already the best center in the game. The dream duo of Howard and Wall could be the next Kobe and Shaq from the 2000’s. Such a team would no doubt win multiple titles.

Currently, the Wiz has seven players under contract and only five (Wall, McGee, Crawford, Booker, and Seraphin) who are likely to remain on the roster for much longer. The four players other than Wall, have potential to help contend in the future. Center Javale McGee is a premier defender with a long wingspan, giving him shot-blocking abilities few others have. Jordan Crawford is a scoring presence from the shooting guard position due to his crafty moves and at times cold-blooded shooting. Big man Kevin Seraphin is a lock down defender and aggressive rebounder. The most upside belongs to power forward Trevor Booker who possesses intimidating strength which enables him to be tenacious down low both on offense and defense.

It is still just the beginning of the rebuilding process but it’s not too early for Wiz fans to get excited. A formidable team is in the making and playoff runs are not far off. Who knows, maybe the new red, white and blue uniforms will bring success earlier than expected as happened to the Capitals. Such a change of fortune would be embraced by the fans who haven’t gotten to celebrate a championship for 35 years.

0
0
View Comments (2)
$775
$1000