Top Five World News Events: Feb. 7 – Feb. 13

Ishrat Ara, 16, and her older sister Shagufta, 19, stand in the doorway of the house outside Srinagar, India, where her mother was shot and killed by Indian forces in September while standing on a balcony. Ara and other young residents of Kashmir are calling on U.S. President Barack Obama to speak out about the recent turmoil in Kashmir when he visits India this weekend. (Dion Nissenbaum/MCT)
  1. Celebration in Egypt. This week, tensions rose as huge rallies continued and violence flared in anticipation for Mubarak to step down. Unexpectedly, Mubarak refused to step down during a live televised address, sparking anger and frustration. On Friday, Feb.11, Vice President Omar Suleiman announced Mubarak’s official resignation, eliciting much celebration. The military took control, suspended the Constitution disbanding the Parliament and called for elections.
  2. Protest in Yemen. The change sweeping across the Middle East has reached Yemen, with young protesters turning out in record numbers over the past three days to oust autocratic President Ali Abdullah Saleh, in solidarity with the Egyptian revolution. The protest, consisting of about 1,000 youths, was organized mostly via text messages. Already-established anti-government groups remained separate from these new protestors, expressing intent to press for more gradual change.
  3. India and Pakistan Renew Peace Talks. India and Pakistan will renew peace talks that have been stalled since the 2008 Mumbai attacks, when Pakistani militants killed 163 people. They will likely cover issues spanning from fighting terrorism, to improving their economic relationship, to the tense border dispute over the Kashmir region.
  4. Switzerland Rejects Firearm Ban. Following a deeply contested debate, Swiss voters opted to be able to keep firearms in their homes. The concern over arms was prompted by recent suicide rates and rare shootings. However, armed civilians are a national tradition, with many men keeping their guns during and after compulsory military service.
  5. Drought Endangers China’s Wheat. An intense drought is afflicting China’s wheat belt, prompting fears of rising food prices and inflation. The government called the situation “grim” and urgently called for the region to be irrigated. Shortages of wheat around the world are predicted if the crop fails and China is forced to import huge quantities of wheat.

All information gathered from the New York Times Online.

0
0