Downtown Bethesda: Where Culture and Cuisine Mesh

For many, Downtown Bethesda is a place to grab a quick bite to eat, run some errands or browse the many boutiques and shops that line the streets. With over 180 different eateries, the restaurant choice may be a much more difficult experience than anticipated. Luckily, the diversity of food downtown is great and everyone is bound to find something to enjoy. Here are some quick looks at four of the best options:

Pricing: $ to $$$$

Rating: * to ****

Mia’s Pizzas ***

4926 Cordell Ave.

Mon (dinner only) 5 p.m.-9:30 p.m.

Tues – Thurs 11:30 a.m. -9:30 p.m.

Fri – Sat 11:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m.

Sun 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m.

Pricing: $$$

Perhaps one of the more eclectic restaurants in the Downtown area, Mia’s offers a great variety of specialty pizzas in addition to a wide selection of appetizers including meatball sliders, deviled eggs and roasted olives. Though pizzas are the main feature, various salads, pastas, calzones and paninis (lunch only) are also available for purchase. Each of the 12” specialty pizzas are wood fired and range from $10-$14, plus $1.25 for each desired additional topping. The pies range from the simple cheese (‘Mia’s Pizza’) to the ‘Jorge’s Inferno Pizza’, which includes pesto, pepperoni, olives and garlic, among other ingredients. For extreme meat lovers, there is the ‘Multi Carni Pizza’, which has tomato sauce, pepperoni, sausage, bacon, bell pepper and mozzarella cheese. A short walk from the Bethesda Metro station, this funky and upbeat pizza parlor has plenty of open air and is perfect for families. Mia’s has both outdoor and indoor seating, as well as a bar inside. Although on the pricey side, if you’re looking for out-of-the-ordinary pizzas, then check out Mia’s.

La Madeleine French Bakery and Café ** 1/2

7607 Old Georgetown Rd.

Mon-Thurs: 6:30 a.m.–10 p.m.

Fri-Sat: 6:30 a.m–11 p.m.

Sun: 7 a.m.–10 p.m.

Pricing: $$

With the feel of an antique French bakery, La Madeleine showcases a variety of French foods in an informal manner. The restaurant itself is divided into two sections: the dine-in area and the bakery. The bakery sells tarts and pastries a la carte, while the main section of the eatery serves food cafeteria style. Many French foods are offered, including quiches, croissants and crepes, as well as more ‘American’ food such as pasta and salads. After paying at the register, customers can sit inside or outside. The wood and brick paneling throughout, along with the warm lighting and fireplace, gives the place a rustic feel. La Madeleine is family friendly and ‘servers’ in line will take your order to prevent long waits. The restaurant also offers party and catering services. As with most places located in Downtown Bethesda, La Madeleine is accessible from the Metro. If authentic yet casual French fare is your preference, then this cute and lively establishment will fit the bill.

Sweet Basil **

4910 Fairmont Ave.

Mon-Fri: 11:30am–3 p.m., 5 p.m.–10 p.m.

Sat: 11:30 a.m. –10 p.m.

Sun: 4 p.m.-9:30 p.m.

Pricing: $$

Located a few blocks north from central Bethesda, Sweet Basil is a Thai-themed eatery on a quiet street away from the commotion of Downtown. With tropical hues covering the walls and high ceilings atypical of Bethesda, Sweet Basil is both exotic and friendly. Traditional Thai musical instruments decorate the walls and light piano music sets a calm and relaxed mood. The menu consists of traditional Thai dishes. People with nut allergies must be aware that many Thai dishes do contain sauces with nuts or traces of nuts in them. Though Sweet Basil has a full bar towards the rear of the restaurant, the place is still family-friendly with open spaces and outdoor seating. Servers are attentive and fast. Sweet Basil is accessible by Metro or Metro bus, but the walk from the station is longer than the walk to other restaurants. To someone inexperienced in Thai cuisine, the menu may seem unfamiliar. This place is not everyone’s cup of tea, as the flavors can be strong and perhaps too overpowering for some.

RiRa Irish Pub ****

4931 Elm St.

Open Daily 7 a.m.-11 p.m.

Pricing: $$

RiRa is a mix of vintage Irish pub and sports bar. The dark wood paneling is reminiscent of a classic pub from the Emerald Isle, but the light fixtures give it a modern twist. A large, flat screen television sits above the fully stocked bar, flanking the main dining space. The music is a mix of modern and 80’s rock. Though the menu may seem American, it also includes legacy pub grub entrées such as Fish & Chips and Beef & Guinness Stew in addition to the sandwiches, chicken tenders and salads. The portions here are hearty, flavorful and very generous; one entrée could easily satisfy two people. Despite the full bar and happy hour, RiRa is surprisingly family friendly. RiRa has live bands come and perform during most evenings on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. This restaurant is a short distance from the Bethesda Metro station and is centrally located among other shops and Downtown eateries.

0
0
View Comments (1)
$775
$1000