Top Five World News Events: Feb. 12 to Feb. 18

Protests in Athens
Police officers, seen here in 2009, stand guard outside of a closed store in Athens. (via Flickr)

1. Israeli Diplomats Targeted by Explosions. Israeli officials have blamed Iran for attempting to attack their diplomats stationed in three foreign countries. An explosion on Feb. 13 injured a woman inside of an Israeli diplomat’s car in New Delhi. An explosive device was discovered on the same day under another Israeli diplomat’s car in Tiblisi, Georgia, and was rendered safe. The next day, three men were arrested after their explosives went off prematurely, crippling one of the suspects. No terror group has claimed responsibility for any of these attacks, leading the Israeli government to believe that Iran is conducting the bombings. Iran has accused Israel of staging the attacks to discredit the Iranian government. (Source: BBC)

2. Greece Approves Austerity Amid Debt, Social Unrest. Protesters clashed with police and set buildings in Athens on fire on Feb. 12 as the Greek Parliament voted to make severe cuts in government spending. The budget cuts are required if Greece is to receive any financial assistance from the European Union. Greece has already received €110 billion in assistance from countries which use the euro; they will receive another €130 billion after the cost-cutting measures are approved. If Greece does not receive the economic aid, they run the risk of being unable to pay back its debt, known as a “default.” Cost cutting, however, means that many Greek citizens will lose many government benefits, and that government services will be curtailed. (Source: BBC)

3. Over 350 Die in Honduras Prison Fire. Police in Honduras are investigating the cause of a deadly fire in a prison in Comayagua. Over 350 inmates were killed, with many deaths due to smoke inhalation. At least 100 inmates died of burn-related injuries after the keys to their cells could not be located in time. The prison is believed to have been overcrowded, as it housed over 800 inmates in a facility intended for only about 400. A number of inmates have escaped the prison and are at large. The fire is believed to be the deadliest structure fire on record, and the worst fire of any kind in Central America. (Source: Al Jazeera)

4. United Nations Condemns Syria. The United Nations (UN) General Assembly adopted a resolution condemning the Syrian government for its violent crackdown on anti-government protests. Of the 193 members of the General Assembly, 137 voted in favor of the resolution and 12 voted against. The remaining nations either abstained from the vote or did not record a vote at all. According to UN estimates, the death toll in Syria stands at 5,400. There are also an estimated 25,000 refugees who have fled Syria to escape the violence. The Syrian government insists that its forces are fighting against anti-government militias and terrorists. (Source: United Nations press release)

5. U.S. Aircraft Carrier Sails through Strait of Hormuz. The USS Abraham Lincoln, accompanied by other ships of the United States Fifth Fleet, sailed through the Strait of Hormuz of Feb. 14. The move comes a month after another aircraft carrier, the USS John C. Stennis, made the same journey despite a warning from Iran not to do so. While the strait is considered an international waterway, Iran’s military has the capacity to close the strait by denying access to shipping. Iran has made threats to close the strait, to which the United States responded with a vow to keep the waterway open. About 30 percent of global oil traffic passes through the strait, and any disruption of naval traffic could have major economic consequences. (Source: Reuters)

0
0