Top Five World News Events: Feb.19 to Feb. 25

US forces in Afghanistan
Army Pfc. Cory Obitts of Alpha Troop, 1st Squadron, 33rd Cavalry Regiment, provides security for a UH-60 Black Hawk Helicopter at Coalition Outpost Spera, Khowst Province, Afghanistan, March 7, 2010. Troops across Afghanistan faced increased hostility from locals in the aftermath of the burning of the Quran by U.S. soldiers. (U.S. Army Photo by Sgt. Jeffrey Alexander/Released)

1. Prison Fight in Mexico Leaves 44 Dead. A fight on Feb. 19 between members of two rival drug cartels in Mexico led to 44 deaths. The two cartels, the Gulf cartel and los Zetas, are among the most dangerous operating in Mexico. There is speculation that prison guards may have been complicit in the fight by allowing prisoners out of their cells. The fight occurred four days after a fire swept through a prison in Honduras, which killed over 350 inmates. The two incidents, though separate, underscore the lower prison standards in Central and South America. Both prisons had held approximately twice their intended capacities. (Source: BBC)

2. Deadly Riots in Afghanistan after Quran Burnings. The death toll climbed in Afghanistan after protests over the accidental burning of the Quran by American soldiers. Two American army officers were shot and killed in the Afghan Interior Ministry building; the Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack. The U.S. military claims that the burnings were accidental, and that extremists held by the U.S. had used the Quran to write and exchange messages to each other. The Quran is the holy book of the Islamic faith, and any instance in which it is defaced has the potential to inflame tensions between Afghans and U.S. soldiers. A previous Quran desecration in 2010 sparked protests in Afghanistan that killed 30 people. (Source: CNN)

3. Fourty-nine Passengers Die in Argentina Train Crash. A commuter train in Buenos Aires failed to stop at the platform, hitting a barrier and killing 49 people. Over 600 others were injured in the accident, which was the worst one in Argentina since 1970. Though officials have not officially released the cause of the accident, they have stated publically that they assume the train’s brakes were not properly functioning. Despite a relatively good safety record, this recent accident has highlighted the need to properly maintain and upgrade Argentina’s rail systems. (Source: BBC)

4. South Korea Conducts Military Drills Over North Korean Objections. South Korea held a day-long military exercise along a disputed border with North Korea on Feb. 20. Artillery units fired into ocean territory claimed by both North and South Korea. North Korean leaders were informed of the exercise, and islands held by North Korea were evacuated while the exercise was underway. A similar training exercise held in the same area in Nov. of 2010 led to a retaliation from North Korea that killed four South Korean civilians and put the two nations on the brink of war. (Source: AP)

5. Pakistan Starts Demolition of Osama bin Laden Compound. Authorities in Pakistan have begun demolition of the compound where Osama bin Laden was found and killed in a Special Forces raid last year. Local officials gave consideration to possibly using the building as a tourist attraction, but decided against it on the grounds that such a move could attract al-Qaeda sympathizers. Last year’s raid was hailed around the world as a success in ending a 10-year manhunt for bin Laden, but many in Pakistan were outraged that an American Navy SEAL team would conduct an attack in their country without contacting the Pakistani government beforehand. Pakistani officials have declined to say why they decided to begin demolition. (Source: AP)

0
0