Top Five World News Events: Feb. 26 to March 3

Food aid bound for North Korea
A truck loaded with food aid, part of a 1998 convoy to North Korea. A large shipment of food aid will be delivered to North Korea in exchange for a suspension of their nuclear program.

1. Red Cross Blocked from Rescuing Syrians. A convoy of aid from the International Red Cross was blocked by Syrian authorities on March 2, despite an earlier promise to allow unhindered travel to the Red Cross. The convoy attempted to enter a particularly devastated neighborhood in the city of Homs, which has been under sustained attack from the Syrian Armed Forces. The Syrian government claims that they are combating terrorists in their country who are trying to unseat the current president, Bashar al-Assad. Opposition members say that their peaceful demonstrations against the government were met with violence from the security forces. (Source: The New York Times)

2. North Korea to Suspend Uranium Enrichment. In exchange for 240,000 tons of food aid, the North Korean government has agreed to allow international nuclear inspectors into its country and suspend its program to enrich uranium. North Korea is believed to have a small nuclear arsenal, and its uranium enrichment program is seen as a threat to the region. The United States and South Korea, along with many other nations, have called for an end to North Korea’s nuclear program for fear that their stockpile may grow or fall into the hands of terrorists. North Korea has consistent food shortages, and food aid is seen as necessary for the country to function on a day-to-day basis. (Source: BBC)

3. Plot to Assassinate Vladimir Putin Foiled. Ukrainian security services have arrested two men who plotted to kill Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin. Authorities responded to an explosion in an apartment, which killed a third suspect. There, they uncovered the plot to kill the Prime Minister. There are no specific details about the plot. Putin came under criticism recently after his political party, United Russia, was accused of rigging elections for parliament. Opposition activists feared that Putin may try to alter the outcome of the upcoming presidential election as well, guaranteeing him a third term in office. Putin became the Prime Minister of Russia after term limits forced him to leave the presidency for at least one term. (Source: BBC)

4. BP to pay $7.8 Billion to Oil Spill Victims. A $7.8 billion settlement was reached between British Petroleum (BP) and members of a lawsuit against the company. BP had leased an oil rig from the company Transocean which blew out in the Gulf of Mexico, resulting in 11 deaths and a major environmental disaster for the Gulf Coast region. BP had set aside $20 billion for any court ordered payments and other financial obligations related to the cleanup. BP has not settled with the U.S. government, which has stated that BP is responsible for the financial burden of the oil cleanup. (Source: AP via ABC News)

5. Americans Charged in Egypt Allowed to Return Home. Six Americans charged with financing anti-government organizations in Egypt returned to the United States after posting $5 million bail. The activists had been involved in fundraising for non-government organizations such as the International Democratic Institute. Until bail was posted, many of the Americans wanted in connection with the charges sought protection in the U.S. Embassy in Cairo. There are still over 40 activists who remain in Egypt; it is unknown when they will stand trial. (Source: AP via the Washington Post)

0
0