“Beyond Expectation” – WJ Performs at National Orchestra Cup

WJ Orchestra at Lincoln Center
The WJ Symphonic Orchestra on stage at the Lincoln Center.

Orchestra director Christopher Kosmaceski praised the WJ Symphonic Orchestra for their performance at the National Orchestra Cup on March 10. The competition, held at Alice Tully Hall at New York City’s Lincoln Center, is one of the most prestigious in the nation for high school orchestras, of which only 10 may attend.

“It was simply beyond expectation,” said Kosmaceski. “The students had an incredible degree of concentrated purpose and focus. They came to perform.”

Kosmaceski recognized the musical talent of WJ’s opponents at the competition, including the Garfield High School Orchestra from Seattle. The Garfield High School Orchestra won the competition for the second year in a row.

“All of those [who were] performing sounded fantastic,” he said. “It was great to be included in those high caliber ensembles.”

For those who performed, being on stage at the Lincoln Center seemed to be an experience too good to be true.

“It didn’t feel like we performed [in such a distinguished place] until after it happened,” said Junior Xinyi Li. “[After we finished performing,] it really sunk in.”

“It was kind of surreal,” said Junior Yasmeen Byrnes. “Performing [at the Lincoln Center] was really cool.”

WJ’s performance did not go unrecognized by the judges. The Symphonic Orchestra was presented with the “Forte Award” for “Positive Attitude and Best Exemplifying the Spirit of America and the Performing Arts.”

Kosmaceski is already looking to next year, and the opportunities that the National Orchestra Cup has opened for WJ’s music department.

“We’re only eligible to compete again if we’re invited back, and if we do get the invitation, we’ll consider it,” said Kosmaceski. “However, I think an experience like this can open up other opportunities for the WJ Orchestra.”

The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (BSO) helped WJ prepare for the competition at the beginning of the school year. Both the BSO and the WJ Symphonic Orchestra are looking forward to a continued partnership well after the end of this year’s National Orchestra Cup. For students in the orchestra, however, the opportunity to showcase their talent on the national stage was a truly unforgettable experience.

0
0